Notices

overheating

Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

Replaced impeler, thermostat. Cleaned sea strainer. Still overheating. what next?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: overheating

are u getting water pressure at speed? In my situation, my transom plate hose fitting insert was corroded and was restricting flow-opening should have been about 15 mm, was corroded to less than 2mm-fair flow at idle (spitting out exhaust pipes) but at speed- melted manifolds.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to tell without knowing make,year, size what drives ect. Check water flow to thermostat housing. Could be manifolds and risers, how old are they?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dono
Replaced impeler, thermostat. Cleaned sea strainer. Still overheating. what next?
Check inlet side of oil cooler for pieces of the old impeller
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies, i had no access to a computer for the last week so i'll catch you up to speed. My boat is a 95 powerplay 33 sport deck. Hp500's bravo's. It has the transom water pick up with sea strainers. While floating in the lake i pulled the covers off the strainers and plenty of water comes up flooding the bildge. The boat also overheats while running on the hose. I replaced the impeller but it was intact and looked ok. I replaced the thermostat also. Boat ran good for 20 min or so then temp gauge went up to 260. Seems to be an intermittent problem. I think my next move is to flush out the oil cooler. I have gotten quite a bit of sand in my strainers from beaching the boat and its possible the oil cooler may have some small stones in it. Would the oil cooler being plugged cause my motor to overheat?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dono
Thanks for the replies, i had no access to a computer for the last week so i'll catch you up to speed. My boat is a 95 powerplay 33 sport deck. Hp500's bravo's. It has the transom water pick up with sea strainers. While floating in the lake i pulled the covers off the strainers and plenty of water comes up flooding the bildge. The boat also overheats while running on the hose. I replaced the impeller but it was intact and looked ok. I replaced the thermostat also. Boat ran good for 20 min or so then temp gauge went up to 260. Seems to be an intermittent problem. I think my next move is to flush out the oil cooler. I have gotten quite a bit of sand in my strainers from beaching the boat and its possible the oil cooler may have some small stones in it. Would the oil cooler being plugged cause my motor to overheat?
When an impellor shreds the pieces go to the oil or powersteering or fuel cooler if you have one, whichever is first, all the water has to go through the coolers, so it's possible that the pieces are blocking the inlet water side.

If your motor got hot, it's a good idea to replace the t-stat also.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered

Wobble, I replaced the impeller and thermostat and this did not fix my problem. The impeller was intact when i took it out so no pieces floating around. I have had the strainers full of sand a few times so im guessing that could be blocking the oil cooler. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered

when you replaced the impellers where the housings scored ??????
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

if you are filling the strainers with sand i'd try and pull the block drain plugs and see if the block is full of sand.....you may not be getting full cooling capacity......but my first thought was to tell you to back flush your coolers etc....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
when you replaced the impellers where the housings scored ??????
They seemed ok, i rubbed the inside down with vasoline to make the impeller slide in easier.

Quick Reply: overheating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.