hull coatings for speed >

hull coatings for speed

Notices

hull coatings for speed

Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hull coatings for speed

anyone out there had any luck with hull/drive coatings??? i remember a couple of years ago there was stuff call vc liquid speed that was a teflon coating that you sprayed on the hull and drives-anyone tried anything like this???
Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: hull coatings for speed

speed wax is the best on the market, search for threads by littleduece, he invented it in a secret underground wax lab, iv e heard you can gain as much as 7mph depending on type of hull and how thick a coat you apply
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I heard BIG SCOTTY fully endorses it!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a product out there called speed coat. It's a graphite based paint, it comes in rattle cans and quart cans for use with a gun. We tried it on an SST 45 boat that I crewed for a couple years back, We didn't see any noticeable gains at all. It was just kinda one of those we have to give it a try things that didn't work. About the only benefit was that the boat slid on and off the pit trailer easier.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered

7 mph ? SEVEN ? do you know how much parasitic surface drag over the small number of sq in of hull you have in the water at speed you are talking about there ? that is an absurd number... maybe POINT 7 mph
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
7 mph ? SEVEN ? do you know how much parasitic surface drag over the small number of sq in of hull you have in the water at speed you are talking about there ? that is an absurd number... maybe POINT 7 mph
Rat was joking, look up some threads about littleduece and you will understand.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
speed wax is the best on the market, search for threads by littleduece, he invented it in a secret underground wax lab, iv e heard you can gain as much as 7mph depending on type of hull and how thick a coat you apply

Yeah.

And hulls with blisters are up to 8 mph faster than hulls without blisters because they break the surface tension like a million little steps. Depends on the length of the hull and the amount and height of the blisters. This was why non-bagged 80s hulls are so fast.

You just have to be careful when turning at high speeds with a blistered hull. You could spin out.

This is where the expression "Blistering fast" comes from.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Registered

ah ha.... well... with some of these magic beans you never know when people are serious and who is believing whaqt fairy tale that day......

BUT as for the blisters.... i worked on some americas cup boat stuff where an unamed company developed a golf ball like surface finsh in micron size that , infact did reduce the parasitic drag by a real and repeatable number... and it WAS like little mini blisters... was worth real boat speed... but of course those boats have a lot of hull in the water all the time...
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Registered

a golf ball like surface finsh in micron size that , infact did reduce the parasitic drag by a real and repeatable number... and it WAS like little mini blisters... was worth real boat speed
thats why you need to put thick coats of speed wax on, so its deep enough for the dimples
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

There is a product out there called speed coat. It's a graphite based pain
my aunt and her husband raced several olympic sailboats and they used that on all of them, dont know if it made em faster but they felt it couldnt hurt, i wouldn't put it on a go fast. talk to tres i think i read some where they sand the hulls with a very fine grit sand paper for less drag

Quick Reply: hull coatings for speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.