Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil Temperature >

Oil Temperature

Notices

Oil Temperature

Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temperature

I am running twim 502's with B&M blowers. I am seeing some differences in oil temperature between the engines when I am rumming. Typically I'll run about 4500 rpm. One engine will come up to 180 degrees oil temp. The other comes up to 200 degrees oil temp. I have verified all coolant passages through the external oil cooler and all is clean. Is there a temperature bypass circuit in the oil filter mount? What temperature SHOULD I be seeing? Are there any concerns with my current running conditions?

Thanks... I appreciate any help
Old 06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Temperature

Originally Posted by chewy1955
I am running twim 502's with B&M blowers. I am seeing some differences in oil temperature between the engines when I am rumming. Typically I'll run about 4500 rpm. One engine will come up to 180 degrees oil temp. The other comes up to 200 degrees oil temp. I have verified all coolant passages through the external oil cooler and all is clean. Is there a temperature bypass circuit in the oil filter mount? What temperature SHOULD I be seeing? Are there any concerns with my current running conditions?

Thanks... I appreciate any help
The difference in oil temps could be anything, the engines are not really identical. Are the temp sensors/gauge accurate? Timing could be off a smige, carbs could be off, compression could be off. The blowers may not equal. Anyway oil temp is directly related to how hard you run. Run hard, you will run hotter. How hot I do not know but I would not get worried unless I saw temps at or close to 300F. If you do run that hot, an oil cooler will help. Oil is tested at 210F in the lab, so mid 200's isn't bad. Some people like to see oil temps at 180 but some additive packages in oils are heat sensitive and 180 may be too cool. You want a min of 180 F to "cook" off condensation. Ken