Bravo 1 supercede >

Bravo 1 supercede

Notices

Bravo 1 supercede

Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 supercede

I have a question concerning the upper swivel shaft. I replaced the upper & lower shaft bushings and lower seal. I also purchased a new swivel shaft #98230a1. The new shaft doesn't have the grease hole down the center to feed the lower bushing. When I asked Merc techs they said that this is a perma lube application and does not need grease fittings. Also, the lower bushing seal has 2 seal lips. When installed properly as per merc specs both seal lips face towards the bushing. Merc cruiser techs said the seal keeps water away from the perma lube bushing. If that was true would not the seal lips face out? I then called national seal company their tech said if I want to keep water out I should have the lips facing toward the water. When I told merc techs this they told me to install the seal in reverse. Has anyone had experience with this or am I over thinking it? I am in a salt water enviroment. Twin engine Daytona.
352-753-5267
Old 07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Bravo 1 supercede

the merc tech is correct
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 supercede-l111.jpg  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

that is the same ill. i have and the same inst. tool one tech after i pointed out that if installed that way the (merc.) way the seal lips face into the boat not out to keep water out the only thing keeping the water out is the the tension ofthe seal on the shaft . if pressure was aplied like a hard wave to the back of the boat the lips on the seal could open up not seal tighter like if the lips were facing out i am using the oem seal for ser# oc848843 the tech said from a seal point of view he ageed but that when mec. changed from grease style to no grease (permelube) they never changed the seal and the life of the bushings never changed
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

when i say lip i mean the small seal surfaces that are directional on the id of the seal
Old 07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

i think i am over thinking this thing i need a CROWN & WATER to shut myself down and just put them in lke every body else. the bravo shop said i was luck just to have a boss left just to press the seal into