Drive problems Trs or Outdrive? >

Drive problems Trs or Outdrive?

Notices

Drive problems Trs or Outdrive?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive problems Trs or Outdrive?

I have twin 496's and rebuilt outdrives(1yr old) .Around $5,500.00 to have outdrives rebuilt, the boat has TRS and not sure what is wrong in drive train? I'll put boat in drive at low idle and hear a klunking that sounds like gears grinding in the Starboard motor and will stall the motor? But running full throttle or high rpm's it's fine? Checked the fluids in trs,outdrive and is at proper level. The out drive has a reservoir and dip stick under hatch, does the reservoir under hatch fill the complete outdrive. Or do you have to pull plugs on drives to fill them separate from the outside also? This is the first time with this set up,( trs's and drive set up) I'm ready to go to the guy that rebuilt drives and ask him whats up, but afraid he will say well it's the trs's not the outdrive, and don't know what to say to him with out getting riped off! Does this sound like it could be some kind of adjustment or a bad big bill? The boat does not have allot of hours on new outdrives and don't want to get the shaft on this one! HELP!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Drive problems Trs or Outdrive?

I think you are confused. The outdrives you have are "TRS" outdrives. The Transmissions you have are probably the borg warner velvet drive models. There is a dipstick for the transmissions just forward of the dipstick for the outdrive. Check the trans fluid for a burnt smell, pink fluid, and obviously fluid level. Sounds to me like you may have a transmission going bad. to replace the trans, you will have to remove the oudrives, and remove the engine, tranny rebuilds can go for 500-1000 bucks. Send them to MArk at BAM marine in florida. He is supposed o be one of the best.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem after installing on portside a new engine and gearbox.

First I thougt that TRS-drive was the cause for a knocking noise & stalling of the engine while shifting forward.

Never tried to give more rpm bcs I was afraid to damage more.

First checked u- joints which were okay, then I changed the drives from one side to the other in order to identify the problem and found that Z-drive was ok.

Later I dismantled gearbox but found nothing.

Finally I learned that the crankshaft center bore was slightly bigger then the one from the old engine which i first did not realize bcs the flywheel had almost the same radial offset, that fact pretended to me that I believed to be right with my old alignment tool.

After new alignment of the coupler plate everything ran fine.

Have you ever checked with a "Torsiometer" the torque you need to turn slightly the prop shaft.

It´s a great tool in showing first hints of a.m. misaligments.

Joee
Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Registered

I have a related TRS/Borg question. I was told I have Borg Warner transmissions, if so how do I tell which one. Also what fluid should be in them, I believe what's in mine seems to be gear oil, not ATF. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Use ATF, Ford specification (type F or FA) non synthetic !!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered

Took a second look today. The transmissions definitely have ATF in them , just used (brownish). How can I find out what model transmissions I have?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prostock85
Took a second look today. The transmissions definitely have ATF in them , just used (brownish). How can I find out what model transmissions I have?
There will be a 6 sided tag on the left side of the trans, facing upward. The info should be there.
Gary
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Registered

thanks, found it