Notices

dry exhaust

Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry exhaust

What are the positives and negatives of a dry exhaust system?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: dry exhaust

Well, if you have a big camp with a lumpy idle dry exhaust will keep water from reverting back up. Also dry exhaust has less restriction due to the water not mixed in.
Con's for pleasure boats are they are head ache freakin' loud...I seriously love it loud but you will get a headache and suffer hearing loss pleasure boating everyweekend with a dry exhaust. Forget talking to your passanger or hearing your stereo. Oh yeah you will receive lots of noice violation tickets!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Well, if you have a big camp with a lumpy idle dry exhaust will keep water from reverting back up. Also dry exhaust has less restriction due to the water not mixed in.
Con's for pleasure boats are they are head ache freakin' loud...I seriously love it loud but you will get a headache and suffer hearing loss pleasure boating everyweekend with a dry exhaust. Forget talking to your passanger or hearing your stereo. Oh yeah you will receive lots of noice violation tickets!
Hit the nail on the head. Went out for a fre hours on the jet & loud was an understatement. Never thought I'd say that.
Attached Thumbnails dry exhaust-dscf0001-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Registered

Re: dry exhaust

well I found out that once you go over 65mph the sound stays behind you. I'VE HAD MINE SINCE 1995 S/M. OH TUNES JUST GET ABOUT 10,000 WATTS ,ME i JUST TOOK MINE OUT . HEARING I THOUGH THAT WAS FROM MY WIFE YELLING AT ME ALL THE TIME BUT I DO LOVE THE SOUND and when fred has mufflers for dry,i may give in.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

What is reversion? And, can they be retrofitted to be water jacketed, or would they just need to be replaced, if they got on our nerves? Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK
Positives: Protection from Reversion

Negatives: Ear splitting loud.
Currently no mufflers available.
Slightly more expense than wet.
Fred,

I've read your statement above "Currently no mufflers available" on several posts here on OSO.

That statement is WRONG! Mufflers for dry exhaust systems have been available for many many years going back to the 80's from several manufacturers. The names Gil, Gaffrig, Hardin, Corsa all come to mind. Seems to me this is just an example of how little you really know.

If you're going to be in the marine business then I strongly suggest you start giving out accurate information. I for one am a little tired of the mis-information posted by self proclaimed experts such as yourself that either don't know squat or are just trying to promote themselves.

I realize you have a big following here on OSO and I'll probably take a little heat for this but I've already heard enough horror stories from people that bought parts you recommended and turned out to be either wrong or just plain junk.

I was at Jacksonville, I saw a certain power steering pulley that you recommended fall off because it was incorrectly machined, numerous guys having problems with KPM products deteriorating, etc. The only thing that surprises me is that I never read about it here, guess their all to busy fixing their boats to spend time typing here.

What is your tech line service by the way, I've called with tech questions and each and every time all you or your boys do is refer me to the manufacturer? That in itself tells me that your advice needs to be questioned.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

I run 4.5" id dry exhaust, I use slide in cone mufflers taken from drag racing, works pretty well ,knocks down harmonics, and there relatively cheap compared to "marine" exhaust. good luck gg
Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered

I introduced the water as far back in the CMI tails as possible, just before exiting the transom. Hopefully, I have the best of both world - a little quieter and a small chance of reversion.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Psychostroker
Fred,

I've read your statement above "Currently no mufflers available" on several posts here on OSO.

That statement is WRONG! Mufflers for dry exhaust systems have been available for many many years going back to the 80's from several manufacturers. The names Gil, Gaffrig, Hardin, Corsa all come to mind. Seems to me this is just an example of how little you really know.

If you're going to be in the marine business then I strongly suggest you start giving out accurate information. I for one am a little tired of the mis-information posted by self proclaimed experts such as yourself that either don't know squat or are just trying to promote themselves.

I realize you have a big following here on OSO and I'll probably take a little heat for this but I've already heard enough horror stories from people that bought parts you recommended and turned out to be either wrong or just plain junk.

I was at Jacksonville, I saw a certain power steering pulley that you recommended fall off because it was incorrectly machined, numerous guys having problems with KPM products deteriorating, etc. The only thing that surprises me is that I never read about it here, guess their all to busy fixing their boats to spend time typing here.

What is your tech line service by the way, I've called with tech questions and each and every time all you or your boys do is refer me to the manufacturer? That in itself tells me that your advice needs to be questioned.
I generally take comments from posters like yourself for what they're worth. Not much.

You hide behind the name Psychostroker making self serving comments always careful not to reveal your association with one of our competitors.

As for you calling our tech line, was it slow behind the parts counter??

You want to be considered credible? Post your name and reveal your connection to CP/Hardin.

You're just another troll hiding behind a screen name.

By the way, I didn't send a powersteering pulley to anyone at the Jacksonville poker run.

Gotta love the internet. Any Jackass with a computer can hide behind his keyboard and make false accusations.

I'm suprised you can find the time for the attacks. I figured you'd be busy with your high tech development work.......like hiring the next round of strippers for the Miami Boat Show. You guys are all class.

Last edited by TRICK; 07-27-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by gg10
I run 4.5" id dry exhaust, I use slide in cone mufflers taken from drag racing, works pretty well ,knocks down harmonics, and there relatively cheap compared to "marine" exhaust. good luck gg
Dynatech's by any chance ?

BTW: Fred, I think your still cool !

Quick Reply: dry exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.