Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs? >

Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

Notices

Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

Old 07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

I know at 6lbs larger injectors are recommended. But what about at 4lbs? Are the stock injectors large enough to supply adequate fuel at 4 lbs of boost with a sidemount on a 1999 502 Mag?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

NO!!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

Originally Posted by Raylar
NO!!

Ray @ Raylar
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Sent my injectors to RC Engenering, they flowed at
490 cc/min. My injectors are 1993. Most 502 MPI injectors flow around 470.
A good place to start would be to pull them and send them to RC 310-320-2277. I think it was around $200.00 to have them cleaned and flowed. best $ you could ever spend.
Before the test they flowed at an average 463 cc/min, and after 490 cc/min.
Good Luck
Old 07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

NO!!

Ray @ Raylar
I have the stock injectors on my engine and the side mount whipple has two more injectors on it. I have not had any problems. It dyno'd fine after the fuel mapping was set right by Mark at Precision. I have stock heads and just a little bigger profile cam.

Ray,

I better make sure I understand when you say "NO" what were talking about on injectors. Could you shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Re: Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

Sorry, my computer hard drive crashed Thursday and I've been offline a few days.
When I said NO, I was refering to someone trying to run the supercharger with just the stock 8 injectors, if the supercharger has extra enrichment injectors as some Whipples do, then the stock injectors are OK. I am not sure that all Whipples are set up with extra injectors, if they are then I stand corrected. Just did not want anyone burning a good motor down with to lean a fuel mix under boost.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Sorry, my computer hard drive crashed Thursday and I've been offline a few days.
When I said NO, I was refering to someone trying to run the supercharger with just the stock 8 injectors, if the supercharger has extra enrichment injectors as some Whipples do, then the stock injectors are OK. I am not sure that all Whipples are set up with extra injectors, if they are then I stand corrected. Just did not want anyone burning a good motor down with to lean a fuel mix under boost.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
The sidemounts do have the extra 2 injectors. But you were correct when you answered my question. I was referring to just the stock "standard" injectors only.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

I have twin 502's with the whipple side mount and intercooler. This set up is very tricky when it comes to tuning. I am at 5 lbs of boost and the Mefi computer was tuned by Tyler Crockett. We ran new Mercury injectors with no problems. We made close to 700 HP but richened it up so as to not stress the motors too much. We are now at 640 HP and that is plenty for me. Several times before we went to Tyler Crockett we did have problems as the computers were tuned too lean and the JE pistons had a melt down. The tuning was done by an individual who had some hack program, not the GM program and when I bought the boat in the middle of winter I was assured that these motors were in great shape even though I was very leery of super chargers, but hey I'm adventurous. I can say that the intercoolers definately need their own water supply as the water off the engine cooling will not be adequate, the Whipples are making some boost even at very low rpm's that is why there is no room for error. Too often people see an ad that you can slap this on or fit that on and it will work like magic. BULL!

This has been one hell of a learning experinece for me and I would like to thank the guy's at Hypercision in Tinley Park, IL. (Very Knowledgeable) Tyler Crockett, Jerry Stark and especially John Zapp at Zapp Racing for all of their patience.

This may sound like advertising but when you start from scratch as I decided to do I found these individuals and companies to be very trust worthy.

If anyone has any questions as to what I went through just ask. Hopefully I can save you the headach of spending the thousands of dollars on research and development like I did. By the way does any body have a need for a nice set of used once JE piston ashtray's? I have 32 of them.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
RAY,

Thanks for clarifying that. I got a lil nervous when you said that and made a few extra phone calls just in case.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have one bis ASS aeromotive pump now instead of the stock mechanical pump, injector rail pump, and whipple pump.

Quick Reply: Will stock 502 Mag injectors work with a whipple at 4lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.