Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help with alpha gimble bearing! >

Help with alpha gimble bearing!

Notices

Help with alpha gimble bearing!

Old 07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with alpha gimble bearing!

My friend has 85 28 ft twin 260 searay we are trying to remove gimble bearing , salt water got to it ,any help would be great! Thanks for reply.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Help with alpha gimble bearing!

Slide hammer (big one) with bearing puller claws that grip on the I.D. All it takes is a few blows with that and you will pull out the bearing with the carrier.

You can buy replacement bearings w/o the carrier, but since yours was in Salt water, I would do the whole thing. Usually, you just twist the bearing inside the carrier. Its kinda hard to describe, but it fits into the slots of the carrier at a perpendicular angle, and you pivot it until it is flush with the carrier.

You need to use the proper driver tool to put the new bearing with carrier in. DO NOT hammer on the inside race of the bearing (i.e. where the driveshaft slides through! You will do certain damage.

Good Luck!

-Larry
Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ljsmith1
Slide hammer (big one) with bearing puller claws that grip on the I.D. All it takes is a few blows with that and you will pull out the bearing with the carrier.

You can buy replacement bearings w/o the carrier, but since yours was in Salt water, I would do the whole thing. Usually, you just twist the bearing inside the carrier. Its kinda hard to describe, but it fits into the slots of the carrier at a perpendicular angle, and you pivot it until it is flush with the carrier.

You need to use the proper driver tool to put the new bearing with carrier in. DO NOT hammer on the inside race of the bearing (i.e. where the driveshaft slides through! You will do certain damage.

Good Luck!

-Larry

Thank for the reply Larry, I have a snapon axle bearing slide hammer that won't pull it out any sugestions. we are trying to pull straight out is that wrong.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

there are several ways/ tools to pull them I use a snap on puller that expands on the in side of the bearing in all time time ive been dooing this neverhad one that I couldnt get out, there is also a puller that uses a threaded rod that you tighten down on agaist the transom bell housing
Attached Thumbnails Help with alpha gimble bearing!-l116.jpg  
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help Joe, I think it's just seized in the housing.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

if you use the one with the treaded rod it will come out heres a link where if you call them they stock the puller and ask for a catalog they have some great drive tools, there web site sucks but great tools I have spent thousands with them over the years

http://www.precisionwholesalemarine.com

Last edited by GOODT; 07-28-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Short 3-Jaw puller and a 5lb slide hammer. You can also try heating the gimball housing just behind the gimball bearing.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, your help is most appreciated
Old 07-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have changed several in the last year. The first one was a horrible task. The slide hammer method sucks big time! I pulled the old one using a length of 1/2" threaded rod, nuts, washers, and a block of wood. I'll do my best to explain it.

1) Pull the drive
2) Drill a hole through the block of wood in the middle which you are going to put the threaded rod through. The block needs to be wider than the mounting studs for the outdrive ( I use a 2x8x12").
3) This part needs an extra set of hands. Slide the threaded rod through the bore of the gimbal bearing and place a stack of washers behind the bearing followed by a nut. 1/2" heavy galvanized washers from home depot have worked well for me. You need to make sure that they are big ehough to not fit through the bore of the bearing, but you don't want them to rip out your seal either. Take your new bearing to the hardware store when you're looking for the washers. Make sure that you use a thick stack of washers or they may deform enough to go through the bore of the bearing.
4) Place the block of wood over the mounting studs with the rod through it. Follow up with a washer and a nut. When you tighten down on the nut, it will pull the bearing. If it slips through the bore, change your washers to slightly bigger ones or use a taller stack of washers.

At this point your bearing should be out. This is a cool trick that I learned installing the new bearing. Take your old bearing apart by removing the bearing from the carrier by finding the install slots, rotating the bearing and popping it out of the carrier. Push the new bearing into its place by hand so that it doesn't fall out. Make sure that everything is lined up. Then use the alignment tool as a driver by placing the old bearing onto the shaft of the alignment tool followed by the old carrier. This will make a driving tool that is the perfect size for the new bearing. Drive the new bearing home and it's in.

Obviously, check for water leaks while you have the drive off and check your bellows (these are the most likely reasons for bearing failure). Prior to installing the drive check your engine alignment. The last small hurdle is the alignment of the bore of the bearing. It is a spherical roller bearing, so it has some room for angular misalignment. I use the alignment tool as if i was checking alignment and hit it firmly on the end with a hammer. If you have some bearing misalignment, you will go crazy trying to align the engine, so you probably want to do this step first. The last thing is to install your outdrive, make sure everything is sealed up tight (I glue everything) and grease everything up. If the outdrive is giving you a hard time getting stuck while you are installing it, check the bore alignment of the bearing again, it may need some "influence."

Good luck, I know that these are my ****ty shade tree ways, but it has worked well for me without going crazy at the tools department.

Rene
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Registered

old has the right idea Thats how the tool works

Quick Reply: Help with alpha gimble bearing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.