1997 454 Merc. MAG MPI - Idle/Surging issue

Notices

1997 454 Merc. MAG MPI - Idle/Surging issue

Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 454 Merc. MAG MPI - Idle/Surging issue

Hello..
I am having an interesting issue that I cannot diagnos for the life of me. I am having some trouble with my 97 454 Merc. MAG MPI (500 hrs). When the engine is cold she starts up just fine idles at 1100rpm and drops down to the appropriate idle. Just like a fuel-injected car. All season I have been having this problem when the engine warms up the idle surges. For example, I am cruising up the creek and the rpms will be set at 800-900 and then all the sudden the engine will jump up to 1000-1100 and then back down. Sometimes I have to hold my hand on the throttle to keep it steady. Then I was waiting for the gas dock at idle the engine would rev up to 900-1000rpm and then drop back to the ideal rpm. Sometimes the idle would stay at 900rpm. I then put the boat in neutral and rev the engine and it would back down. This issue only seems to happen when the engine is warm.

Some have suggested:
-Replace the ECT (because the ECM might not know the exact engine temp?)
-Replace the TPS (just a guess)
-Clean the distributor (Merc. manual suggestion)
-Bad ECM??

Should I try and replace the ECT sensor?? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I am stumped and my marina mechanics don't seem interested in helping me.

Thanks!

Rob

EDIT: I did replace the MAP sensor. When the marina hooked up the laptop to the ecm they saw some issuse with the map sensor. They said that was the only abnormal reading.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1997 454 Merc. MAG MPI - Idle/Surging issue

You most likely have a dirty IAC motor and/or dirty throttle body. You need to remove and either clean or replace the IAC motor and clean the throttle body where the blades close. Also make sure the seat where the IAC pintle contacts is clean.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
You most likely have a dirty IAC motor and/or dirty throttle body. You need to remove and either clean or replace the IAC motor and clean the throttle body where the blades close. Also make sure the seat where the IAC pintle contacts is clean.

Thanks insptech! I was just reading up on replacing the IAC. I did take the flame arrestor off and the butterflies looked dirty. I am going to order a IAC and TB gasket right now.

What would you recommend I use to clean the throttle body?

btw: I notice your in G-Burg. Are you the shop off Gude Dr?

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just did mine the other day with Swipes and it worked great, however any fuel induction cleaner will work. For the throttle body, spray it on a rag and wipe so it doesn't end up on paint or rubber seals. I tried the Swipes just for grins since they are much less caustic, turns out they did the trick. I am not affiliated with any shop, but I can steer you in the right direction if you need "professional help" (on the boat)
Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
I just did mine the other day with Swipes and it worked great, however any fuel induction cleaner will work. For the throttle body, spray it on a rag and wipe so it doesn't end up on paint or rubber seals. I tried the Swipes just for grins since they are much less caustic, turns out they did the trick. I am not affiliated with any shop, but I can steer you in the right direction if you need "professional help" (on the boat)
Thanks for the help! I am going to replace IAC and then clean the throttle body as the next step. It seems this surging/loping idle is common on the MPI's and the IAC is the right fix. While I'm at it I'm going to clean the ETC sensor.

Rob
Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On my own, I clean it once, then replace if it sticks again. On other's boats I usually tell them to change because I'm not going in there twice Most IAC motors are fairly cheap-even from Merc. You will find that if you pull the throttle body, clean it, and the IAC at the beginning of the season when you change the plugs, you will never have a problem.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Anyone have the GM numbers for the IAC and TPS?
Sometimes it is on the part.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

I ordered the IAC and throttle body gasket for a total of $75. Seems like a simple repair.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

UPDATE

Well... the IAC didn't make it in time for the weekend. So I went down to the boat and took the throttle body off. It was a little gummed up. I then pulled the IAC and it was loaded up with carbon. After cleaning it I noticed half of the "pintle" looked like it was rusted/coroded. I couldn't get that part clean. So I cleaned and followed the reseting instructions from the Merc. man.

We let the boat idle for awhile to warm it up. Then motored up the creek and so far so good. As soon as we put load on it the surging came back. Not as severe as it was. It was definatley an improvment. So next weekend I am going to swap the old out with the new and hope it'll cure the problem.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

UPDATE:

Well, I dropped in a new IAC and the problem still occurs. When the engine is cold its was fine. The surging happens only when the motor is hot. The idle issue wasn't as rough. So the new IAC helped a little.

We had a fairly long run (about 45) minutes @ 2500 rpm. Once I came to a stop and put the engine in nuetral the engine would rev (lope) from 900 to 1100?? It did this a couple times.

So what would be the next step????

-TPS
-ETC
-ECM??? (please no)

I'm stumped, please help??

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1997 454 Merc. MAG MPI - Idle/Surging issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.