Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable? >

How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable?

Notices

How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable?

Just had my 540s built. I noticed that I am getting a little water in the bildge, along with some oil. Is something that is common place with high performance engines. I didn't have any water or oil with my 502s. When I pull the drain plug it does create quite an oil slick. Is something that is correctable? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable?

I agree with trick, you want to find the source of the oil leak especially if they are fresh motors, maybe a gasket or surface is not sealing up properly.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:09 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't agree more - no oil what so ever
Old 08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered

put some diapers down and see where its comming from, could be from many things most serious would be blow by with a new mtr
Old 08-13-2006, 12:18 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meanwhile make sure you pour some bilge cleaner down there, it will help break up the oil and not leave a slick when you pull the plug.

Check the front and back of the intake, and around the distributer, front timing cover and valve covers are most common leaks.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered

Sounds to me like a problem I had with an "old school" builder who insisted on using the OEM cork gaskets on the intake manifold to block. (I do all my own assembly now) In our marine application they would always blow out and at speed the oil would exit from the pushed out gasket in the area to the rear of the intake where it is supposed to seal off the lifter valley area. Take your clean cloth and wipe back there. It's a tough area to see but you might be able feel the pushed out gasket and you can sure find the oil. As for an answer to the thread topic: NONE! --- Jer
Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GOODT
put some diapers down and see where its comming from, could be from many things most serious would be blow by with a new mtr

Just don't let this guy GOODT (Joe Heller) work on your boat. He is a dirtbag and still owes me $1,000.00
Old 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Just had my 540s built. I noticed that I am getting a little water in the bildge, along with some oil. Is something that is common place with high performance engines. I didn't have any water or oil with my 502s. Is something that is correctable? Thanks.
The oil should be in the pan....not the bilge. Seems like you've had several engine related issues since your engines were built this year---hope it goes better for you.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
mjb
Registered

Before you spend too much time investigating an engine oil leak, make sure your outdrive bottle/vented cap is not the problem. When I upped the HP on my 502's, it put more strain on my outdrive...the outdrive oil got a little hotter and started pushing oil out of the vented screw top on my resevoir bottles. I added drive showers and it reduced the problem but I still get some outdrive oil in the bilge.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Registered

A little bit of oil looks like alot when its floating on top of the water. check your pumps and drives or anything that holds fluid. it could be something else leakin, not the motors. I had the same problem and found it to be a trim line leakingin the bilge.

Quick Reply: How much Oil in Bilge is Acceptable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.