Received 3,109 Likes on 1,401 Posts
Default Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Profiler.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Ray who else besides you makes heads for the 496?
Larry Peto,

Larry's Engine & Marine

Tucson AZ 520-623-5373
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Nobody that I know but us makes aluminum heads for the 496.
SB, Profiler casts our head in our tooling. Roush machines and assembles them. Profiler cannot sell our heads!
There are some companies CNC' ing the iron factory heads, but by the time you do that and replace all the factory valves,springs, retainers, etc. You will spend as much as a pair of our aluminum heads, and they are a better product and weigh 100 pounds less a motor!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
SB, Profiler casts our head in our tooling. Roush machines and assembles them. Profiler cannot sell our heads!
There are some companies CNC' ing the iron factory heads, but by the time you do that and replace all the factory valves,springs, retainers, etc. You will spend as much as a pair of our aluminum heads, and they are a better product and weigh 100 pounds less a motor!

Ray @ Raylar
Ray do you have any flow #'s

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,109 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar

Ray @ Raylar
Ray - thanks for clearifying that. When I was talking to a Profiler guy at their booth in PRI last December they had mentioned that as I was looking at the 8.1L head they had on display. Now being forced to remember my conversation with them it started with me asking how their head compared with yours - Raylar's. He mentioned they where yours. Anyway - he didn't really care to talk to me about these heads or a few others they where showing. And this was on Thursday - doh! I left there booth 'feeling' like they sold them....guess that was because of the lack of info / excitement of being alive the gentleman I talked to had. LOL. Thanks for clarifying that.

So, since I wasn't that mentally clear when I made my first comment I'd like something else clearified if I could. I keep many comments / articles / etc,etc from Darin Morgan of Reher Morrison since I hold him up on quite a tall pedestal.
Is what he says here true - meaning he helped with or did most or all of the design of these heads ? If so - wow! You have some 'top of the tops' doing this stuff for / with you.

I found this in my notes.

A quote from Darin Morgan from just the other day actually:
These are the heads I designed for the 8.1 liter engine. They are marketed through RAYLAR engines. The stock heads are JUNK with a capitol "J"! Dont even think about trying to step the stock heads up with port work. The casting are thin, the SSR is way to high and the chamber is a total joke. The stock version of these heads are the worst I have ever seen come out GM.

http://www.raylarengine.com/cylinder_head.html

These heads are capable of producing a lot of power from the stock block and components.

The new heads take less timing, gain over 65HP and improve gas mileage tremendously!! with the new manifold that RAYLAR designed the engine get even more efficient. You will have to ask RAYLAR about the specific increases. The heads where so bad that making them better was a snap. better in every single regard I might add.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Registered

Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

SB

Thank you for your comments and your comments about Darin Morgan. He and I worked closely on the development of our 496 -8.1L head design and you can also know that in the performance industry his cylinder head design and flow knowledge is second to none. Darin is a great guy and his knowledge and expierence in cylinder heads, are in my opinion the best in the industry. Darin and I also spent some time together working on a napkin at the PRI a few years ago on the design and characteristics of our intake manifold. I am really greatful we have some great companies and people on our design, development and manufacturing "team" here at Raylar. Three heads are always better than one.

We just delivered our new HO525 motor to the Laveycraft race team for their raceboat. I am really excited to start the testing next week and see it run in there first race in Pittsburg, Ca.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar