msd or thunderbolt 4 >

msd or thunderbolt 4

Notices

msd or thunderbolt 4

Old 08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: msd or thunderbolt 4

I don't know squat about the msd set up. But have recently come across a couple of threads mentioning that they develop rust. No 1st hand experience, just what I've read recently.

I have run a TBIV in my ZZ502/502 for 4 seasons and have had 0 problems with it.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the duke
and I've only seem MSD's in NASCAR. So if they are so bad, and Crane is so good, why are the guys who can have what they want using MSD?

Those blue boxes in the windshield on Sunday are Crane. The Crane system is very popular with the Nascar boys.. . .of course this comes from an "oil pan salesman".

Last edited by cstraub; 08-18-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I run an MSD billet distributor and an MSD crank trigger system hooked up to a Crane Hi-6M ignition box. A crank trigger system may not be totaly necessary, but it's one of the best systems out there and it works very well in a marine environment---at least it has for me. Haven't had a problem with a Crane ignition box yet either---they are over 5 years old.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 PM
MSD
Registered

Originally Posted by cstraub
Those blue boxes in the windshield on Sunday are Crane. The Crane system is very popular with the Nascar boys.. . .of course this comes from an "oil pan salesman".

All the top Nextel teams use MSD ignitions
http://www.msdignition.com/news2006.html
Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSD
All the top Nextel teams use MSD ignitions
http://www.msdignition.com/news2006.html
So why do they run 2 boxes ?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

the msd distributers have a severe corrosion issue with the trigger wheel becoming rusted then knocking out the 6m box.you can keep cleaning the rust but the boxes get expensive for the customers,and this is in a fresh water environment.just my professional opinion.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
MSD
Registered

Originally Posted by cig1988
So why do they run 2 boxes ?

NASCAR teams need to finish to win. Just like any other part on a race car, an electronic piece can fail. If an MSD box were to fail, they would not be able to finish. They are allowed to run two of them, and they do as cheap insurance. Any backup system that a NASCAR team can run, they do. If they were allowed to run a second engine, they would do that also.

There are many other choices in ignition systems. The fact that most of the top 25 teams in Nextel Cup use MSD should speak for itself.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MSD
NASCAR teams need to finish to win. Just like any other part on a race car, an electronic piece can fail. If an MSD box were to fail, they would not be able to finish. They are allowed to run two of them, and they do as cheap insurance. Any backup system that a NASCAR team can run, they do. If they were allowed to run a second engine, they would do that also.

There are many other choices in ignition systems. The fact that most of the top 25 teams in Nextel Cup use MSD should speak for itself.
Understood. But why do these boxes fail ? We use the marine box & seems to fail when needed the most. Seems they only last so long. I've got mine mounted on rubber bushing's & thought vibration was a factor. I have a 2 engine aplication and would like to run a spare box. Could I run 1 spare switched to 2 engines ? Would it be possible to get a schematic on that ?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Still coming up to speed on marine stuff, but Fasteddy is right. MSD's are run all over the place in motorsports because they've been around forever, and once apon a time, they provided the best spark you could get in an ignition system. But now there are better, more reliable modules out there. However, anywhere they run one, they run two. They're VERY old technology electronically speaking, and are not very reliable.

Although a crank triggered, multi-spark, distributorless, CD ignition is certainly going to give a better, more controlable spark under all conditions, for my money, on a boat, simpler is better. Sounds like you guys have good luck with the TB's. Unless I had plug fouling, idle, or high rpm issues, I'd stick with the "old reliable" any day. The more electronics you put into the boat, the more you have to go wrong (and this comes from a long time FI guy)
Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 PM
MSD
Registered

Originally Posted by cig1988
Understood. But why do these boxes fail ? We use the marine box & seems to fail when needed the most. Seems they only last so long. I've got mine mounted on rubber bushing's & thought vibration was a factor. I have a 2 engine aplication and would like to run a spare box. Could I run 1 spare switched to 2 engines ? Would it be possible to get a schematic on that ?
There are several ways to wire up spare boxes. This link shows the easiest using an MSD switch
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/pdf7.pdf

It would probably be cheaper and easier to set up your spare box so that it is a direct plugin to the wiring on the engine. (as you have marine boxes, they already have the watertite plugs) Then, if you had an issue with the box, you could just switch the wires, and continue on.

How many hours/time are you running the box before you have a failure issue?

Quick Reply: msd or thunderbolt 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.