aftermarket rims on trailer? >

aftermarket rims on trailer?

Notices

aftermarket rims on trailer?

Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default aftermarket rims on trailer?

ok i have a single axle boat trailer with no brakes on the axles. currently the traler has some 15" steel wheels all rusty and look like crap. and i have a pair of 18" wheels that were off of my old camaro ss for drag sliks (will be changing tires to just low pro tires).

Now for the question i was told my a local trailer parts store that if i run car wheels i will damage all the bearing because of the added weight of the wheels and the more road contact. he was fliping out on me and didnt even want to sell me new hubs.

so what do you guys think?

Oh if it matters i go to local lakes and maybe up north 5 times a year that is about 350 miles one way.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket rims on trailer?

I would go for it, look at all the trucks,cars and every vehicle on the road. They have huge tires and wheels now. The bearing load only changes if you offset the rim out or in. For as little milage that you use it for I cant for see any problems.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

I agree with post #2. Also make sure the wheel and new tire are rated to carry the capacity of the total load. Trailer tires are built different so you will generally need an LT rated tire with a lot of additional capacity to make it work. Why he wouldnt seel you a trailer wheel and tire is beyond me - unless you have the trailer overloaded and he see's potential liability exposure at a later date.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

You won't find an 18" tire that will hold up to trailering duty, AND fit under a fender. I don't know the weight of your boat, but if its just a single axle trailer, you especially DON'T want to skimp on the tire.

My recommendation is buy a set of 15x7 or 16x7 American Racing Outlaw II wheels. I have been told they are discontinued, but another manufacturer makes the exact same wheel. Purchase a set of Goodyear Marathon ST (Special Trailer) tires in at least D, and preferably E load rating. If not ST tires, then go with the Firestone TransForce AT (LT tire) in D or E load rating.

Make sure you have a matching size spare as well. With only a single axle trailer, you have no extra axle to 'save' you, your trailer, and your boat in the event of a catestrophic blow out. Also, aluminum wheels expand and contract with heat. This will tend to loosen your lug nuts. They will be loose after the first 50 miles. Tighten them at the first 50 mile interval and check them every 200 miles. It only takes a minute; and wheels DO come off; especially aluminum ones.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I even carry two spares; that way if I blow one, I don't have to go searching for another spare to make the rest of the trip. The Outlaw II wheel retails for about $100.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I even carry two spares; that way if I blow one, I don't have to go searching for another spare to make the rest of the trip. The Outlaw II wheel retails for about $100.
Hell, I carry a spare wheel, and a spare hub.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaros are 5 lug 4 3/4 circle from the factory. Most 5 lug trailers are 4 1/2 circle
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Registered

For years I ran a tandem trailer to haul my 23' Mirage around with Centerline Drag rims on it. These were 15' and I ran 50's on the back axle and 60's on the front with BFG TA's. Trailer was custom painted to fit my boat / truck. Looked sweet and I never had a problem. Except I worried about leaving it overnight at the launch in case I came back and found the trailer on blocks.