Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing the friggin' steering wheel! >

Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!

Notices

Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!

Alright, here's the deal. Got a spiffy new wheel and hub from Trick, but I can't get the old one off! I pulled the center cap off the old Momo, and took off the brass nut and washer from the shaft. From looking at the new hub, I have to believe the hub and wheel *should* pull straight off, but that SOB will not move a millimeter. I don't want to break anything - any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong here?

Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!-dsc00867.jpg  
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!

heat on the inside of the hub and a little wd 40 when it cools enough to not catch fire... on some... and i emphasise SOME i put the nut back on a far enough to protect ALL the threads and give it a sharp whack with a steel hammer with a huge brass drift... and that usually works....

and ill buy the old momo if you want to sell it to me
Old 09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Registered

I was just going to say what steve said about the nut, and the brass drift.
The best way would be with a puller, but if you don't have that, screw the nut on till it's flush with the top of the threads. Get someone to pull on the wheel while you take a brass drift punch (or a hunk of 1/2" diameter brass rod), and a hammer and give the shaft a sharp rap or two. The wheel should pop, and your friend will go flying!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the 6 allen head screws and the wheel, so you dont damage it.
Use a 3 jaw puller to remove the hub from the tapered/keyed shaft.
BTW, if that's a hydraulic helm, I wouldn't go banging on it with a hammer.
Gary
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It's always the 'seemingly simple' things that kick our azz and waste all our time. Your are not a lone my friend. Easy things should be avoided like the plague. LOL !
Old 09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

I've got a 3 jaw puller, but the damn puller "arms" are too thick to fit between the back of the hub and the collar around the shaft. Grrr! Going to have at it again tomorrow... thanks for all the help. Steve, if I get it off in one piece, you can have it.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Registered

I had this problem a year ago on a old english car, ended up making a tool. Removed the wheel and used the holes in it as a drilling template, drilled holes in a steel plate and put it there insted of the wheel.
Had a hole in the center with threads and a bolt. Tighted the bolt and gave it a knock with a hammer.
Its a bit of work but if everything else fails....
Old 09-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Had the same problem when I installed my new steering wheel a few months back. I just bought a cheap puller and it came right off.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

I bought a wheel puller set for one of my other boats. The problem with that wheel is, when you pull the allen bolts, you'll see they are really screws, and none of my bolts for the puller would fit. I had to take one off my Donzi that had the exact same wheel is how I found out the puller set wouldn't work. I sprayed it with PB Blaster, had Debbie stand behind me pulling on the wheel, I ran a big nut (lug nut as a matter of fact) over the shaft, then as she pulled, I whacked sharpley with a medium ball peen hammer. Now, understand, this wheel was only on the boat for about two months, and it still wouldn't just pull off. That shaft is tapered, and a woodruff key keeps the wheel from spinning.

The scary thing was, I pulled the blue wheel off Deb's 22 to put on my Donzi Minx, and put a Platinum wheel on her boat. When I uncovered the shaft to the Minx wheel, I found there wasn't any kind of nut whatsoever holding it on! The only thing keeping is on was the white powder that developes between steel and aluminum.
I used the same method to remove the Minx wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!-9-4-006.jpg   Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!-9-5.jpg   Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!-9-10-004.jpg  

Last edited by cuda; 09-13-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
heat on the inside of the hub and a little wd 40 when it cools enough to not catch fire... on some... and i emphasise SOME i put the nut back on a far enough to protect ALL the threads and give it a sharp whack with a steel hammer with a huge brass drift... and that usually works....

and ill buy the old momo if you want to sell it to me
note: you need someone pulling up on the steering wheel while you do this it should pop right off, try it cold first only use heat as a last resort, shocking it with a hammer and drift should break it loose!

Quick Reply: Replacing the friggin' steering wheel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.