Procharger Question >

Procharger Question

Notices

Procharger Question

Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger Question

Can anyone tell me the difference between an M1 and an M3? I know the M3 has the bigger aw504 intercooler instead of the aw324 but are the units themselves different? I have an M1 now running about 6psi. The reason I ask is id like to put the bigger intercooler on but they are very expensive, ive got a line on an M3 an aw504 intercooler. Would it be any advantage to change to the M3 unit if I still run 6psi? Would it make 6psi more efficiently???
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Procharger Question

The M3 is bigger size charger. Both is size and volume of air that it will move. Procharger did not want to give out any of it's specs when I had asked them before. Do not know for sure but I would say that the M3 will not have to turn as fast or hard to give you the same boost with less heat, plus with bigger intercooler you will have even less heat, thus more usable HP. You could just get a rtech intercooler and this will give you more HP also. Do a search on rtech. Tom has done a number of test showing the increase HP wih just changing to his intercooler.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you upgrade to an M-3 you'll need all new bracketry as well. You can't just swap the head units.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

The M3 is bigger & more efficent & can spin slower than the m1 to produce the same boost on most applications. They also make M4's & 5's.. They also have a 648 series intercooler available.. Also you want to stay self contained. The 504 is a bigger intercooler and the 648 even bigger. Yes the brackets for the M3 are different to accomodate its size difference.. I dont do used stuff, but if you need anything new from Procharger I am a distributor & installer for them...
Jamie / Lakeside
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DONZI33
The M3 is bigger & more efficent & can spin slower than the m1 to produce the same boost on most applications. They also make M4's & 5's.. They also have a 648 series intercooler available.. Also you want to stay self contained. The 504 is a bigger intercooler and the 648 even bigger. Yes the brackets for the M3 are different to accomodate its size difference.. I dont do used stuff, but if you need anything new from Procharger I am a distributor & installer for them...
Jamie / Lakeside
Thanks for the info. So basically my goal was to lower the air temperature by adding a bigger intercooler and stay with 6psi. By changing to the M3 I would be better off yet because the air temps would be cooler directly from the head unit? Thanks for the info. is there someplace I can get dimensions on the 504 and the 648 intercooler?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Commercial Member

Which engine model do you have.. The 504 intercooler protrudes about 2" more forward than a 304 intercooler does on most applications... I Hope this helps you.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your running a H2X you may have to remote mount the 504 like me and articfriends did.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

The most cost effective ($/HP) thing for you to do is install an Rtech supercooler upgrade for Procharger M1 systems. Keep the M1, don't change the pulleys and you will see another 2 psi boost in the intake manifold and another 90 HP on the dyno. Most of this gain is due to lower restriction to air flow from blower to intake, not reduced air temperature, although we see a drop of 25F compared to the 324, even with the extra 2 psi of boost. Think about that for a minute; more boost and less heat don't usually happen at the same time and that's the key to the system's performance.

The first Rtech supercooler we ever sold went into service on an M1 system 3 years ago and the guy can't break the M1. A bigger blower may be more efficient but I can't really say for sure because Procharger doesn't publish their compressor maps. But I know it wouldn't add the 8 mph we saw with the supercooler upgrade. Both the dyno test and the water test were covered in articles for Family & Performance Boating.

For the complete story go to:

www.rtechperformance.com
Attached Thumbnails Procharger Question-comparison-boxes.jpg  
Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcat
The most cost effective ($/HP) thing for you to do is install an Rtech supercooler upgrade for Procharger M1 systems. Keep the M1, don't change the pulleys and you will see another 2 psi boost in the intake manifold and another 90 HP on the dyno. Most of this gain is due to lower restriction to air flow from blower to intake, not reduced air temperature, although we see a drop of 25F compared to the 324, even with the extra 2 psi of boost. Think about that for a minute; more boost and less heat don't usually happen at the same time and that's the key to the system's performance.

The first Rtech supercooler we ever sold went into service on an M1 system 3 years ago and the guy can't break the M1. A bigger blower may be more efficient but I can't really say for sure because Procharger doesn't publish their compressor maps. But I know it wouldn't add the 8 mph we saw with the supercooler upgrade. Both the dyno test and the water test were covered in articles for Family & Performance Boating.

For the complete story go to:

www.rtechperformance.com
Thanks for the info, I read a lot about these units in some old forums. How much extra clearance do I need if any? Its on a Sunsation 288 with a 502mpi. Does it replace the upper plenum?

Kennyo, its in a 288 and I think i have enough room...its VERY close. If I have to mount it on the side it may not be worth it.

Last edited by dagah2x; 09-14-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by kennyo
If your running a H2X you may have to remote mount the 504 like me and articfriends did.

The 504 engine mount intercooler with an M3 fit in the last H2x we installed one on here.. It was a 1998 it was snug, but it did fit with the. What year H2x do you guys have??
Jamie / Lakeside

http://www.lakesiderestorations.com/superchargers.phtml

http://www.lakesiderestorations.com/clientsBoats.phtml
Attached Thumbnails Procharger Question-rpsc.jpg   Procharger Question-rph2x.jpg  

Quick Reply: Procharger Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.