Bravo XR / Engine Overheat >

Bravo XR / Engine Overheat

Notices

Bravo XR / Engine Overheat

Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR / Engine Overheat

I am running a Velocity 280 with Bravo XR outdrive, powered by 502CID engine. Everything was completely rebuilt. On my 8th trip, the headers were water starved after an 8 minute idle, resulting in overheat which discolored the starboard header,(started melting the rubber coupling) and it appears the water pump impeller failed. There is evidence of the port header getting warm. The outdrive lower unit has a reworked tapered nose with qty (3) .375 inch holes on the bottom side of leading edge for water pickup. There are no provisions for upper water pickup.

I theorize that having only 3 holes for pickup is starving the engine at idle and it caused the impeller failure. Can anyone shed light on the number, size and location for the water pickups on the Bravo XR used in simplar application?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Bravo XR / Engine Overheat

Chances are the impeller failure was the cause of the overheat. If you are concerned with the pickup holes not being adequate, switch to an offshore transom water pick up. I don't think the hole size/amount is the cause of the problem though.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

My XR drive has the nose cone pickup and the normal side pickups. I also am running a 502mag. I have never had any problems. Not sure why you don't have the side pickups.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the size of the holes is not the problem , we run both the sportmaster lower with 3 holes and a Imco lower with only one hole, I would suspect that the impellor failed as was mentioned but check the hose that goes from bell housing to the outer transom plate it often kinks and cause a lack of water
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you are changing the impeller, use a water hose to back-flush the raw water hose from the transom, to check that water is coming out all 3 holes in the lower unit.

My low water pickup would sometimes get 1 or 2 holes plugged from a piece of wood etc.

Also back flush the coolers from the engine end to remove all impeller pieces
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
While you are changing the impeller, use a water hose to back-flush the raw water hose from the transom, to check that water is coming out all 3 holes in the lower unit.

My low water pickup would sometimes get 1 or 2 holes plugged from a piece of wood etc.

Also back flush the coolers from the engine end to remove all impeller pieces
also
you may want to check the thru-transom water supply hose insert(41674) If corroded it could lodge debries and restrict flow. Its a fairly quick check-I got bit big time in this area.
good luck
keep up posted