Outboard surges, warning lights show >

Outboard surges, warning lights show

Notices

Outboard surges, warning lights show

Old 09-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Outboard surges, warning lights show

I'm having some problems with a 2001 Merc 250 3.0L EFI oil-injected outboard. Approx 500 hours. Boat is a 30' Scarab CC with twins on a bracket.

Starboard motor warning alarms for oil and temp go off and engine loses about 500 rpms. Couple seconds on, couple off. Happens at every speed, including idle, especially after being run about 5 minutes.

Water pressure is about 4-7 psi on gauges, 2-3 lower than port. Both impellers were replaced; water out of tattle tales feels the same.

Went out with the mechanic from major marina here in New Orleans for test run. He claimed they fixed the problem; did not say what they did after 5 weeks in the shop.

He said not enough air was getting to the motor, we opened the cowling about 1/4" to 1/2" and everything was fine. We checked for blockage, and he suggested that we drill holes in the inner cowl. We did this and removed the plugs in the prop. Nothing changed.

Asked if he hooked up a DDT to the motor and he did not....was not with him.

Mechanic said it may be a bad TPS or excessive carbon build up. Ran 30-40 gallons of gas with Seafoam through it, did not help. He had no TPS in stock so could not try that.

Ran into a guy at gas station with same boat, same motors. We described the problem and he said same thing happened. He replaced the stator and problems went away. Port stator may have already been replaced.

Would a bad stator make sense?
Would satruating the motor with ring-free or seafoam help?
Would a bad oil pump be messing up the mixture?
Any ideas?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Outboard surges, warning lights show

In my book it says:

Electrical Sensor Not Functioning.

The warning system is activated if an electrical engine sensor is not functioning, or is out of its operating range.

The warning system works as follows:

The warning horn begins beeping ant the TEMP and OIL lights will turn on and alternately flash. Have the outboard checked by your dealer.

It also talks about an Engine Over-Speed Protection System where the OIL and Temp lights flash along with the warning horn and the warning system retards the ignition timing.

I know it is not much help............

I noticed that if I tip up my outboards one of them on occasion drains some of the oil out of the engine reservoir tank mounted to the motor and it sounds the horn and shows the warning light and I have to refill it before it will draw out of the remote tank.