Inconel valve question ?

Notices

Inconel valve question ?

Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Inconel valve question ?

Originally Posted by bcarpman
The term "Stainless Steel" is pretty generic and simply means steel that won't corrode under normal conditions. Inconel would technicaly be a stainless steel. I think inconel is a trademarked name and has a couple other additives other than nickel and chromium which are common in ordinary stainless.

Inconel does have significantly better high temp properties than ordinary stainless. I think some manufacturers may use non-trademarketed materials that are very similar to inconel in their extreme duty valves. I think Manley's are that way.

Most stainless is not magnetic, but some are. It depends on the nickel content. If the nickel content is high enough, the valve will pull slightly on a magnet. Some stainless intakes are this way. It's not a bad thing, as intake valves don't undergo the extreme temps that exhaust valves do, and require different properties at different temps.

Oh yeah, and a set of Inconel valves will set you back a lot more than $200. More like $320
I could be wrong but I believe that Manley's Extreme duty are listed as Inconel ( at least in the doug herbert catalog )
I was off on my price , I had an old catalog that had them listed for like 24.99 ea. They are now $ 289.00 for a set of 8
Old 10-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Dean Nickerson set me up with Blower, Carb, Cam, Lifters, Rockers, Gaskets, the whole shebang. The valves he supplied me with were Inconel from tip to stem. No magnet would stick even slightly all across the material. I think he said an outfit in Florida makes them for him. Better heat transfer or something like that. Might be worth a call.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inconel is a Nickel alloy....not stainless steel...i.e. 303, 304, 316, 321 etc.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Re: Inconel valve question ?

yup ! nickel in it's purest form is non magnetic....
Very important is also the springs you use.
What good is a set of the very best valves if they end up floating ?
I had a very reputable engine builder build my friends 588's. I couldn't believe that t hey did not have the triple springs, a dampener broke and the valve dropped.
So be very leary of everything and don't just take someones word for anything... The best thing is to know for yourself, and hopefully not the hard, expensive way... BBB
Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have allways used the Inconel Manley BBC.It looks like Ferrea has a few better that the Inconel.but not sure about in the marine invoro??? The Ferrea inconel I have found was a little cheaper in price ,but not quality.

Here's some info I found

http://www.ferrea.com/valvestech.php

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I have allways used the Inconel Manley BBC.It looks like Ferrea has a few better that the Inconel.but not sure about in the marine invoro??? The Ferrea inconel I have found was a little cheaper in price ,but not quality.

Here's some info I found

http://www.ferrea.com/valvestech.php
Actually I pulled an intake & exhaust valve out yesterday to try & track down sone #'s & they are Ferrea's I tracked down the part #'s on their web site & all it told me was the size's which I ofcourse already knew. So I am waiting on them to reply to my email on exactly what material they are. Like you said it sounds like they have some pretty exotic materials better than the Inconel. & to correct my earlier statement that the magnet will stick to the stem & not the head, after I pulled them the magnet won't stick to either ( it must have been pulling off the retainer.) Thanks guys & I will post my findings.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

I just got off the phone with Ferrea & give them my part #'s
& they told me they where made of 214N material & is a marine valve & suitible for marine supercharger usage. The part # for my exhaust valves is F 2103. So I guess I am good to blow it full of boost with my V-4 Vortech. The motor was a twin turbo motor that I bought in another boat before I bought the vortech to put on it & use in my Saber. I just wanted to make shure on the valves while I had the motor apart.