502 efi oil removal? >

502 efi oil removal?

Notices

502 efi oil removal?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 502 efi oil removal?

I used the conventional way of using the hand-pump through the dipstick to change my oil . Looks like i left about a quart of dirty oil in that i couldn't get out. I have seen kits to put on a hose to the drain plug threads, but don't see how that will fit throuh the bilge drain hole. What are my options here. I put 7 quarts of fresh mobil 1 in, and it already looks dirty just from turning the engine over a bit. Bottom line is, i want to be able to get all the oil out, minus the lines of course.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 502 efi oil removal?

I had one of those kits & if you like spending 2 hours for the oil to drain you are in luck. That kit will do it for you.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You can use the kit that goes in the drain plug and then use a pump to suck it out instead of letting it gravity drain. It does take a very long time to drain that way. You can use a drill pump or one of the buckets with the pump mounted on top. West marine sells them. Eddie
Old 10-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

so your saying get the kit, they get the drill pump as well......... Any other ways of doing it?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

I've got one of the oil drain plug kits. The hose does not fit through my bilge drain plug hole. I just slip on 2' piece of nylon hose onto the end of it and then its no problem. It does take a long time for the oil to drain out and depending on how your boat sits on the trailer, you may have to lift the trailer tongue up high.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Registered

Why doesn't sucking the oil through the dipstick tube get all the oil out, does the tube go all the way to the bottom, or does it sit an inch above the bottom of the pan?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 1999 Gen VI, I suck it out the dipstick tube with a drill pump. I always pull the drain plug afterwards but seldom get more than a few tablespoons of extra oil out. The dipstick tube on mine must get pretty close to the bottom of the pan.

I use a drill pump from Home Depot ($5), 5/8" clear tubing, and some garden hose fittings. I have found that the key to this working well is making sure you have good airtight seals on the input side of the pump.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Why doesn't sucking the oil through the dipstick tube get all the oil out, does the tube go all the way to the bottom, or does it sit an inch above the bottom of the pan?
The tube doesn't go to the bottom. Thats where the dipstick goes through so that you can get an oil reading.

Buy the drain hose kit. Mine fits through my standard drain hole with no problem. With the oil warm, it doesn't take long at all to drain. If you buy the kit, its the Metric one that fits. Plus before you buy it make sure that you can get to the plug to put it in. I have a stringer right under it, and I spent hours trying to get it in. It finally got put in when the engine was pulled for a rebuild.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

The kits from Mercury come with a new bilge plug fitting/plug that are big enough for the hose to pass though.

It works like a charm. Just make sure the oil is warmed up. I'll usually let mine drain overnight, just to give it plenty of time; but the majority of the oil is out in 15 minutes, even faster if the oil is hot.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered

I don't see why the dipstick tube couldn't go all the way to the bottom minus a couple of mils or so, the oil is still going to go up the tube..........

The plug that i have in my boat is pipe thread and is 3/4 inch. So not sure if the hose kit will work or not. I'm not really interested in putting in a new fitting.

Quick Reply: 502 efi oil removal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.