Electric vs Mech Fuel Pumps >

Electric vs Mech Fuel Pumps

Notices

Electric vs Mech Fuel Pumps

Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric vs Mech Fuel Pumps

My single 454 mag was set up with a big holley electric fuel pump which has now begun leaking where the armature shaft goes thru the pump housing. So- before I go looking for another pump, Id like some thoughts on whats best and safest, either electric or mechanical.

I think at one time from a boost gauge and some related plumbing and stuff that the boat had a blower on it which might explain the electric pump. Power now is a 454/365 magnum pretty stock except for cam.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Electric vs Mech Fuel Pumps

Originally Posted by mark30h
My single 454 mag was set up with a big holley electric fuel pump which has now begun leaking where the armature shaft goes thru the pump housing. So- before I go looking for another pump, Id like some thoughts on whats best and safest, either electric or mechanical.

I think at one time from a boost gauge and some related plumbing and stuff that the boat had a blower on it which might explain the electric pump. Power now is a 454/365 magnum pretty stock except for cam.
holley pumps are know to leak there, you will be fine with a good mech or elec pump.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

If it has a provision for a mechanical fuel pump (Mark IV), buy one and use hard line from the pump to carb. Safest IMHO.
If not, you'll need the sea water pump mounted mechanical pump. That may involve a lot of tparts and trouble. In that case, you might consider a Mallory electric pump. I've had good with them.
Gary
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen many threads about failues with mechanical fuel pumps. But have seen a few about elec pumps. That's gotta tell ya something.....just a thought.........
Old 10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always run mechanicals, they are VERY reilable and can be replaced at any parts store in a pinch. They need no regulators hence one less part to fail. One less electromechanical device on a boat is always good. If I can eliminate electric in a boat part, I do. Mechanicals now flow the needs of any engine HP and most of them without the need of a regulator. Most are made with a marine option that should the pump diaphram fail, the fuel is then sent to an overflow directly into the carb not the bilge for safety. You probably knew most of this already.... Sorry to spew!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I never liked electric pumps on boats becuase of the safety issues with pump running while the engine is off, but I guess a well placed pressure switch could alleviate that.

The boat is a mag/alpha, so I can eliminate the block off plate and install the mech pump directly. Based on the cost of some of those better electric pumps, it also will be the cheapest!

thanks again- I think we'll go mechanical.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

These are ineresting (http://www.racepumps.com/) anyone try one?