Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: reversion and intake manifolds

very interesting !
Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Now why would I post a pic of a damaged seat or bad valve seal on this discussion ?
Bad seal on the valve seat. Makes the rest null and void.
Duke is correct that swapping an intake will not likely cause intake/exhaust reversion.
But, when we start touching things we have to be careful in what heads / what porting / what camshaft / what intake manifold we use and how we modify them.
18 posts later
Old 11-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Registered

i was talking about the engine drawing water back in through the exhaust, i have 2 454's in the boat, i rebuilt both at the same time, but have blown the port engine twice in that timeframe, and it seems to be pulling water in at idle, with the engine idling on the shop floor you can see water being ingested into the exhaust- like a pulsation- the only difference between the 2 engines is that in one the bottom floor is drilled to connect the bottom runners to the top- bothe sides in the plenum-performer intakes, stainless exhaust, mild comp cams, 049 heads and flatops. the engines are in a 32 pachanga-the risers face forward, have aprox 3 ft of hose on them and dump into a 5 " collector that then exits aft w/ 5" hose that i have an internal flapper in that then goes out the back of the boat, i need to figure this out as i am getting tired of building engines for this thing, thanks for any help
Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

After 22 posts, looks like you answered your own question, and validated the 'yes, it COULD' viewpoint.

Swap the intakes or plug the holes and see if it stops!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray69
After 22 posts, looks like you answered your own question, and validated the 'yes, it COULD' viewpoint.

Leo,I see Jeff booted you off SW,I was going to call you for consolation but you cell is no longer working,Smitty
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray69

When was the last time that you built an engine, put it in a boat and ran that boat?

The intake itself has nothing to do with the reversion. Drilling and messing around with a stock intake "may" have. The answer to that is that the people that build and sell intakes know more than we do. Don't screw around with the stuff as it comes from them.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

to answer your question, last week, i am a factory certified mercury, mercruiser, yamaha, volvo gas and diesel mechanic by trade, the 2 edelbrock performers i took in on trade on something else, one was drilled, and i didn't think anything of it, so i didn't drill it as you implied, not everyone has thousands to go buy an engine from someone, i usually build my own, i had a 115 mph allison w/ a mercury bridgeport before this and after this experience will probably go back to outboards, which seem to be more reliable

Last edited by mcrsr; 11-12-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

This dose bring up and interesting question, Can a Single vs Dual plane intake manifold change the pulsations on the exhaust side? I wounder if anyone has ever tested this?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mcrsr
to answer your question, last week, i am a factory certified mercury, mercruiser, yamaha, volvo gas and diesel mechanic by trade, the 2 edelbrock performers i took in on trade on something else, one was drilled, and i didn't think anything of it, so i didn't drill it as you implied, not everyone has thousands to go buy an engine from someone, i usually build my own, i had a 115 mph allison w/ a mercury bridgeport before this and after this experience will probably go back to outboards, which seem to be more reliable
My post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the wantabe that had to post an "answer" when he didn't know what he was talking about.

As far as drilling the intake, its an old trick to gain some power on street and drag cars. Except for port matching and smoothing, I don't mess with the intakes too much. Edelbrock is smarter than all of us on building them.

You haven't said, but which motor is getting reversion, the one with or without the drilling?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=the duke]My post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the wantabe that had to post an "answer" when he didn't know what he was talking about.QUOTE]

Well, I guess if you can't get your point/s across, or someone disagrees with you, next best thing is personal attacks and name calling. You a polotician, duke ?

Last edited by Kidnova; 11-12-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: reversion and intake manifolds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.