Anyone ever try? >

Anyone ever try?

Notices

Anyone ever try?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever try?

Ok just curious. Since I'm an old street racer and we where always looking for an advantage or benefit some were in the performance or stealth area I was wondering if anyone ever tried something like this.
I'm doing a set of motors for a friends boat and he is pretty lets say slow when it comes to jerking the throttles in the rough stuff. Since I'm putting 6AL MSD boxes on the engines I was thinking of running a 2 step limiter. So when he comes out of the water all he has to do is push a button and the rpm's will not exced 2,000 rpm and when he goes back in let off the button and back to whatever he was at without touching the throttles.
In theory it sounds like it would work , but then again so would alot of practice on his part. Just looking to set up something to ensure I'm not doing another set of engines next winter if you all get my drift.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever try?

Just learn how to throttle
Old 11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Registered

Yeah he's a little slow, I have no problem . Just looking to make it easier on him.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just reread your post. it is much easier to throttle the boat, than push a switch. if i had to do the switch, id be buying more outdrives.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about this a long time ago and the only problem I could think of is the ignition being inturupted with the carbs still wide open dumping fuel. If you hold the button long enough you'll be burning a ton of fuel real quick. I don't know for sure if it do anything real bad but I used to intentionally do this to an old chrysler van and it would make a really loud boom.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
I thought about this a long time ago and the only problem I could think of is the ignition being inturupted with the carbs still wide open dumping fuel. If you hold the button long enough you'll be burning a ton of fuel real quick. I don't know for sure if it do anything real bad but I used to intentionally do this to an old chrysler van and it would make a really loud boom.
Just think what that would sound like.
WAAAAAA......BOOMWAAAAAAAA...........BOOMWAAAAAA.. ........BOOM
jumping wave to wave
Old 11-04-2006, 05:01 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How about the digital MSD box with the slew rate rev control ? Are you familiar with it ? It senses the rate of rpm increase, if the rpms are building quicker than you have it set for it limits the acceleration rate. It was designed to limit wheelspin on drag cars. Very affective and quickly banned (I think) because it basically worked like a traction control device. Seems like it would would work well in a boat. I have the 2 step rev limiter with the 6AL in street car, very intimidating at red lights.

Last edited by bck; 11-04-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I have found the 6M box with the add on rev limiter to work fairly well, you just have to chip it just above your normal max rpm.

The 6al will not last long in a marine enviroment, we ave run a lot of 6 and sevens on jet boats, lucky if you get a year out of them
Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I chip my boat 100 rpm's above what it runs and I have ran wide open,came out of the water without letting off the throttle and it just touches the rev limiter slightly,the rpm's almost match the speed perfectly when boat loads back down. Now if you were catching serious air you would need to pull the throttles back and re-throttle but I'm talking about when your just skipping acrossed the waves slightly,Smitty
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

DO NOT mount the msd box directly to the motor and do run one of their 35$ noise filters in the supply voltage to the box and box should last. Mine is 6 years old/350 plus hours and I have NEVER had one go bad,Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.