Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help! 502 motor, low oil pressure, Any ideas? >

Help! 502 motor, low oil pressure, Any ideas?

Notices

Help! 502 motor, low oil pressure, Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2006, 05:24 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Help! 502 motor, low oil pressure, Any ideas?

Mark:
Thanks for the good advice. Isolating the block from the remote oil plumbing should be done before one can determine that the fault lies inside the motor.
I will disconnect the remote oil filter and cooler/lines and use a filter at the block to determine for sure.

Also, the 1/2" drill I have is only rated at 850 rpm. Is that enough to get 50 - 60psi during the test?
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GNJ
Mark:
Also, the 1/2" drill I have is only rated at 850 rpm. Is that enough to get 50 - 60psi during the test?
That equates to 1700 rpm engine speed. With 40 or 50 weight oil and cold (not warmed up) yes you should get at least 50 lbs.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
That would be Gallery plugs The other option is that they have left out the bypass valves on the oil filter pad in the block. There are pictures on this thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ssure+problems.

From what I have seen here repeatedly,

Do not run a new motor without checking oil pressure with a drill and the correct drill adapter. If you can not generate at least 50-60 psi this way then don't bother going any further.

I would also suggest you do this with a screw on oil filter on to the engine before connecting all of your oil cooler rigging. That way you know where you should be when all those lines are attached and where to look if there is a problem.

Good luck
That is some of the BEST advice I have seen on this board yet-If you can not make 40 or 50 psi with a drill and priming tool do not even bother to install the motor,you will just be wasting your time,it will not fix itself by running it!!Smittty
Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
That is some of the BEST advice I have seen on this board yet-If you can not make 40 or 50 psi with a drill and priming tool do not even bother to install the motor,you will just be wasting your time,it will not fix itself by running it!!Smittty
Thanks Smitty, thats high praise coming from our resident expert on oil system plumbing

A note of caution on priming, make sure you use the right tool and maintain downward pressure whilst running the drill. I allowed myself to get distracted one time looking for oil leaks and the tool jumped up out of the oil pump drive, chipped the top off the oil pump drive shaft and spent 6 hours looking for the pieces.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:09 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

After isolating the oil cooler and remote filter, it still did not make pressure. I called the machine shop and spoke with the manager. He is senting a truck over tomorrow to pick up the one on the engine stand to take back and tear apart to diagnose. Depending on what they find, will determine whether or not the other one that is allready installed in the boat needs to come back out or not.
As a benefit from this minor setback, I did learn an important part of my project that got overlooked. Thanks and appreciation to Mark & Smitty for the information on changing the oil lines and cooler size. The posting Smitty did with the pictures of the stock system lead me to realize that there could be an issue down the road with the HP upgrades to my motors concerning heat in the oiling system. I changed my 502 MPI's to make about 100hp more.

Can someone recommend an oil cooler that will bolt into the stock position to handle 500+hp motors?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 AM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

For the those of you who were following this story and are courious about the outcome;
The machine shop informed me, they found they left out (3) 1/8" plugs in the lifter galley! The shop manager told me he was a little worried at first after they pulled the front of the motor off and could not find anytihng, but then they pulled the intake and WALLA!
Now the second motor that is already in the boat does not have to come back out. We can pull the intake and address the problem from there. GRIEF RELIEF! Thanks again to all of you who responded. And to those of you who voted for galley plugs, you were right on.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Good that you found the problem.

Once you get them both running, I'd compare oil pressures with a mechanical gauge. Running the first motor with 5-16psi oil pressure may have caused some problems. An oil analysis would be another option. Better to know now than later
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might not be a bad idea to put the engines on a dyno.

btw.... glad the problem was easily solved. Nice to have these guys here to help out !!