Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502? >

Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?

Notices

Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?

Originally Posted by GNJ
BadDog:
The connector size on the Gen 6 502 stock equipment is 7/16", so flow should not be an issue, just cooler size. Some have perceived it to be 3/8", but I did not find that to be accurate.

I recently ordered the Mocal Sandwich T-stat adaptors and when they arrived, I found that the gasket/housing diameter are smaller than that of the motor. Sandwich O-ring diameter = 2 - 5/8", Block O-ring diameter = 3 - 3/8"
How do you get the mocal unit to work with the 502 Gen 6 block?
Has anybody used Earl's units for Gen 6?
You can call Mocal they can set you up. They sent mine with an adaptor spacer plate that goes between to bolt it up to a gen 6 motor. Next time I do a sandwich t-stat I will go with the SP1T-HF not the SP1T. I have not tried Earls.

http://64.202.180.37/files/sp1t.pdf

Last edited by paradigm shift; 11-12-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by GNJ
Smitty: Sorry, not trying to discredit you. I did appreciate the info you posted. Somehow the size of my stock equipment measures different than yours. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that stock pipe diameter for the 502 is not the issue.
Tables from ANSI for 3/8" diameter pipe:
@40psi = 12 SCFM Flow rate
@60psi = 18 SCFM Flow rate

Tables from ANSI for 7/16" diameter pipe:
@40psi = 17 SCFM Flow rate
@60psi = 25 SCFM Flow rate

From the tables above, there is plenty of flow even for 3/8".
To set the record straight, it is the core size of the cooler that seems to be the limiting factor for heat transfer on the stock equipment.

PatriYacht: Thanks for the offer of the cooler. I'll let you know once I figure this thing out.
GNJ, there are variances in stock oiling system components depending on years. I don't know how a standard cubic foot of air per minute flow compares to 40 or 50 wt oil,but I know it is not the same. I do know that the most common problem guys are having with their boat motoors is they add more hp,bigger clearences and usually a high volume oil pump and the stock fittings,cooler and adapters become a restriction. I have experienced it myself,thats why I have became so passionate trying to help people with oil problems or help them prevent problems. You could add a second inline oil cooler if your running a stock volume oil pump,if you have changed to a high volume oil pump though it will cause more of a restriction and either your block bypass valve may open and let un-cooled/un-filtered oil lubricate your motor or if you have that plugged the pump regulator bypass will open and dump oil to the pan and also put stress on your cam and distributer/oil pump drive. If you must run the stock stuff at least open the fittings up to the same size (some are smaller than others) so there is the least amount of restriction possible. Good luck with your project and let us know how everything turns out,a hundred more hp will be fun but it might just get you a appetite for more speed (like me) ,Smitty
Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with the engineer that designed the plates and he indicated that internal flow capacity of the plates were the same between the high flow and the standard one. The difference is the ability to use the 16AN rather than 12AN. Using the plate I have eliminated a bunch of fittings which is where your major restrictions in the system are. I only have 4 fittings and abut 3 feet of hose. Much less restriction than the stock setup. That is 6 less fitting than stock with t-stat. Figure the fittings are about 25 a pop and and hose 4 bucks a foot. I think the remote t-stat with remote filter had about 10 feet of hose.

Stock setup with oil t-stat added;
fitting out of block adapter, fitting into oil t-stat, fitting out of oil t-stat, fitting into cooler, fitting out of cooler, fitting into t-stat, fitting out of t-stat, fitting into remote oil filter adapter, fitting out of remote adapter, fitting into block adapter and a bunch of hose. The fittings are always smaller ID that the hose and I believe that is where most of your flow problems come into play. By using the SP1CT I have a total of four 45's of 12AN and only three feet of hose. In addition I dressed the SP1CT with a Dremel tool for added flow. Produced casting left a little to be desired.

By the way the High Flow model was designed specifically for Illmore V-10.

The SP1CT will accept a K&N HP2003 filter.

Last edited by BadDog; 11-12-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition I dressed the SP1CT with a Dremel tool for added flow. Produced casting left a little to be desired.

Under stated if the casting looked anything like mine. I was not very pleased when I got it but once I cleaned it up I was happy. Seems like mocal could spend another 15mins to clean up a nice piece.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Badog,I eliminated a mile of hose,fittings and adaters too when I redesigned my oil system. My stock cooler was mounted on the opposite side of the motor so there was about 15 feet of hose running back and forth. I went from factory fittings and hose that was around 7/16 id with some fittings as small as .390 id to -12 full flow fittings that had a minumum is of .550. I also used only about 5 feet of hose and 6 fitiings total to go from block adapter to filter to cooler and back. When I first did this on my old 502 I picked up 15-20 psi of oil pressure,the block bypass valves must have been open all the time,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?-oil-lines-004.jpg   Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?-oil-lines-039.jpg   Can you run two oil coolers in series on a Gen 6 502?-boyne-020.jpg