Shift interrup 6.2MX

Notices

Shift interrup 6.2MX

Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift interrup 6.2MX

Hello I new here and I like it.

Today I bought a 6.2MX from 2001 with the first type ECU.
I has a normal coil and distributor and the ECU is no ECM555 or PCM555. It is a black ECU with the connectors on both sides at 90 deg., is this MEFI3 or 4?
I want it to use with an alpha drive but there is no interrup since this engine is only for bravo.
There is a jumper connector just near the shift plate with a white wire, who connects a black and a purple wire. Could this be for shift interruption?
Or is it possible to open the injector circuit for 4 cylinders?

Richard

Last edited by Ford Capri; 11-11-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shift interrup 6.2MX

It sounds like the wireing for an interrupt switch is there. The other thing you have to consider is that the MEFI3 ECM's (it would be a MEFI3, not 4) intended for use with Alpha models are programmed with the shift interrupt input switched "ON".

I'm not sure if the shift input on 6.2 ECM is switched on or not. You could check using a scan tool. If it is switched on, you could install an interrupt switch at the jumper you mentioned.

If the shift input is not switched on, you could still set up the interrupt switch using a normally closed switch in the Ignition Control (IC) circuit. That's how Mercruiser did it on some older EFI/Alpha models.

Dave
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Registered

I checked for a 350 MPI from the same serial group and there is no different ECU for Bravo or Alpha.
I don't have a scan tool is there another way to check the ECU?
Is there a way to enable the setting if it is disabled?
You mentioned the IC circuit which wire would that be? the ones from the distributor sensor? wouldn't disconecing a circuit give a trouble code?

Richard
Old 11-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered

Default Shift interrup 6.2MX, Help Needed

Today I did a testrun on the engine outside the boat.
I bought this engine of an accident boat, same car or truck drove in the back and damaged the B3 and the complete transom.
Is there a change that it also damaged the crank? or block?
It ran OK without any strange noises.
I pulled the jumper when the engine was running but it had no effect.
The IC circuit, what circuit would that be? Is it possible to reprogram the ECU? And who is able to do that?

Richard
Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

If there was no effect from pullling the jumper, that would seem to indicate that the shift input is not switched on. But considering that the ECM alters timing and IAC position to "interrupt" the engine (and can do it in varying degrees), with the engine under no load it might be hard to tell if the computer is doing anything or not. You really have to get a scan tool to check the shift input status and operation.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered

Hello Dave,
Would a quicksilver DDT show that value also?
And how can I check the operating?
But if it is not than a switch in the IC cuircuit is an option, I don't think I have de EST distributor, I have the type with the two wires, green/white red/white.

Richard
Old 11-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Run it without it. I've seen plenty of Alpha's without shift interupters. Is it harder on the drive? Probably but the Alpha lowers are cheap and with a 6.2mx your going to be going through an old drive at some point anyways.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Registered

Yes, a DDT with the proper cartridge would work well. First verify the status of "Shift Interrupt Input" as being either "On" or "Off". I think it's probably off.

My mistake about your engine having the Delco EST distributor. Since you have T-bolt V, you should be able to wire an interrupt switch to ground the white/green wire like the carbed engines with T-bolt V. I don't think that doing it this way will set any Trouble Codes, but I'm not 100% sure about that. In any event, it shouldn't hurt anything to try it.

Dave
Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

It is only the distributor from the T-Bolt 4/5.
I checked the wiring and it looks like there is a 12v on the red/white. So I asume there is a pulsing 12v on the green/white, wouldn't grounding the green/white cause a short to ground and damage the module inside the distributor?
I don't know if the coil fires on the dropping puls or the lifting pulse? But if it is on the falling pulse and I short the circuit it causes an extra spark at a unknown timing. And if it is on the lifting pulse it would cause an extra spark when I open the short circuit.
Why should I ground the circuit instead of connecting the switch between the wire, so it will interrupt the circuit?
And what about disconnecting injectors or the IAC valve?

I am going to borrow a DDT if possible, any idea which cardridge I need?

Richard
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Shift interrup 6.2MX UPDATE

Today I took a DDT an connected it to the 6.2.
Whith the jumper connected the shift interrupt is OFF when the jumper is disconnected the shift interrupt is ON.
I checked IAC and timing but no changes when pulling or putting the jumper.
Can this be caused because the engine has no load, or is it missing a piece of software?

Quick Reply: Shift interrup 6.2MX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.