Runing prop with caps removed? >

Runing prop with caps removed?

Notices

Runing prop with caps removed?

Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runing prop with caps removed?

what is the benefit of running the mirage plus with caps removed? I'm told it would take off faster.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

Default Re: Runing prop with caps removed?

It ventilates the prop allowing it spin up faster,,, It did seem to make a difference on my Baja with 1 or 2 removed, but with all three removed on my old mirage I couldn't even get on plane no matter how much I babied it, it would blow out..
Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 PM
NoQuarter

I have a mirage prop... What are the 'caps'?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The size of the holes needed to vent the wheel properly varies with every application, when its on the money it does a great job of getting the boat to plane far faster. We started fooling with it after getting a tech bulletin back in the late 70's early 80's, we were the biggest Grady dealer in NY. Our first test boat was a 25 with twin 200 OB's, we started off with 1/4" and then went to 5/16'. The holes chopped off a good 6 seconds from dead in the water to 3500. Some of the newer props have several sized pop in/out plastic plugs, a hell of a lot easier then drilling like we had to.

Phil
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Mop:

My boat is a concept 23 with a 225 opti I'm trying to decide weather to stick with a mirage plus 21 or a 19 ,with a 21 i get a lot of benefits i cruise at 42-43.5 and at WOT 2 mph + than with the 19p, but from a dead stop the 19 is faster,I know that the 19 will always be faster but would like to keep the 21p with faster plane acceleration.I'm currently have all the plugs in, are all the holes in this prop different in size, how many holes do you recommend to open?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

all the plugs and holes are the same size, I removed 2 of the 3 plastic plugs and left it alone, holeshot was definitely better. I have heard of drilling holes in each of the 3 plugs to find the optimum balance of quicker holeshot and not blowing out. if your gonna drill indivicual plugs progressively larger, order an extra set in case you make a mistake, they are very cheap..
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

Will do, test and post results.

thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R_lara if you have Q&Q you will get a slightly better hole shot with the exhaust going through the prop, the holes made little to no difference on straight through hull exhaust until the bellows were removed and then not near as much as with Q&Q running through the prop. You need the air feed to get results.

Phil
Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered

Mop:

What is Q&Q? and air feed?

Sorry im new to this terms.

Thanks .
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what about the balance of these props with holes being drilled in them....I would think they would have to be rebalanced.

Quick Reply: Runing prop with caps removed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.