MPI to Carb ??

Notices

MPI to Carb ??

Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MPI to Carb ??

There are so many advantages to fuel injection and computer controllled engines that I can't list them all. Suffice it say that this is a wave that will not be stopped. The older Merc fuel injection is kinda primitive but is still better than a carb in stock apps. A good tuner like Tyler Crockett can also make a lot of horsepower with them. The new PCM555 is another jump in technology but still lags behind the auto market. In the next few years the marine builders will have to catch up because emissions regs will force them. Although there is a learning curve involved and some things will be beyond the scope of a backyard mechanic the up side is that the systems get much more reliable as time goes on. Also in my experience many of the so-called problems with fuel injection are not FI related at all. Bad gas, ignition system problems, and internal mechanical failures are still the most prevalent failures on FI engines. It's just that the FI system is like some mysterious boogieman that you can't see into so it always gets blamed. Reminds me of the days when every tech blamed the ignition module if the car wasn't running right. The downside is that techs have to become computer savvy and invest in tools like the Rinda program to rule out computer issues in the first place.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem may not be fuel related, but I can look down a carb and see if it's getting fuel.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by insptech
There are so many advantages to fuel injection and computer controllled engines that I can't list them all. Suffice it say that this is a wave that will not be stopped. The older Merc fuel injection is kinda primitive but is still better than a carb in stock apps. A good tuner like Tyler Crockett can also make a lot of horsepower with them. The new PCM555 is another jump in technology but still lags behind the auto market. In the next few years the marine builders will have to catch up because emissions regs will force them. Although there is a learning curve involved and some things will be beyond the scope of a backyard mechanic the up side is that the systems get much more reliable as time goes on. .
No one can debate that EFI and the computer can make a lot of things happen that couldn't happen without it. The new ZO-6 at 505 hp and 20++mpg would no way be possible without it.

But on a boat, if you want to make performance upgrades, the computer has to be changed. Sure, we can buy the scan tool or the laptop software to see where something is wrong, but those won't change it. You have to have the tools and the knowledge to do that. Tyler can and does make great HP with efi engines, but he is able to do the reprograms that 99% of us don't know how to do. Thats where the problems come in with efi. change your heads/cam/ignition, and then the whole system needs to be reprogrammed. If Tyler is building my engine, that easy, he sets it up and its done. BUT if I am building my engine its a whole other story. Thats where a carb works. Most of us know how to set them up, and get the engine to take advantage of the changes.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Registered

I'm in the same boat. I am building 2 383's from my old MX 6.2's The cost of reprogramming them is upwards of 1000.00. I am seriously considering going carb, making the changes so everything works onthe dash, and selling 2 efi systems. I guess there is some tuning software available isn't there?????
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by unbroken
I'm in the same boat. I am building 2 383's from my old MX 6.2's The cost of reprogramming them is upwards of 1000.00. I am seriously considering going carb, making the changes so everything works onthe dash, and selling 2 efi systems. I guess there is some tuning software available isn't there?????
I've been thinking about getting a 29 Scarab w/ twin 350's. I assumed I could pull and sell the complete Merc engines (EFI included) and replace w/ a couple of kickin' 383 carb motors for very little cost differential. Maybe I'm just dreamin...but I think +400hp carb'd 383's can be had cheap.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

I will have about 10K in both of mine, reusing one block, and buying a new replacement block for the other.