Sheet metal Intake manifold

Notices

Sheet metal Intake manifold

Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sheet metal Intake manifold

PatriYacht,I'm probably on a tangent.However,durability affected by such as heat build up which may ultimately effect tolerances is my first priority.

It could be argued that some degrees of heat transfer will lengthen push rods,lengthen valves,tighten rockers,tighten valve guides,change valve lash and etc. The net result is probably reduced available power for an extended period of time.

Therefore, any direct power increase you have,I would consider a fringe benefit.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Hogans is building 2 new manifolds for you I'm sure they can up the guage on the sheet metal to prevent any distortion that might occure. If you run cold water from your water pump you shouldn't have much of a problem, air gap mintakes are designed to run much cooler that a standard manifold so by running the cold water through maintian it pretty reasonable. Also if your engine build alot of water pressure you can run the water through the there and then dumpit out the back so if it does heat it up significantly it won't put as much heat into the engine . My .02
Old 12-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

If you're going supercharged, an intercooler is almost a requirement. Cracking the core is a danger but I don't see any way around it. As other people have already said, the charge cooling with a water cooled manifold would be minimal. As far as cooling the engine and providing more reliability, I think those benefits would be minor also. I think the greatest gains wouldbe in n/a applications where the manifold is hot after running hard for a long distance. I remember years ago drag racers putting ice on their manifolds. I could see the difference in charge density adding 10-15 hp to a 700hp engine.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hogans is working on a quote and Wilson is looking at feasibility.At the moment we can scrap the idea or modify the specs.....Just explaining why your input is so important.....At best,as we know prices,I don't expect these parts to be cheap.However,if features and benefits seem adequate then price becomes relative.

Why would the same principle of physics not apply to both N/A and supercharged ?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

the physics DO apply to NA, but the delta temp is not as dramatic.
A NA motor will have an intake manifold temp of maybe 180* and incoming charge temp around 110*. Cooling water in the summer will be 85*. With a really good intercooler, the BEST you can hope for would be a temp drop of 25 degrees. With a blower, you can see charge temps over 300* which gives a theoretical max temp drop of 215 degrees. Density is based on Kelvin temps, but you can obviously see the bigger delta playing a factor.

Using a freon cooler for the intake? You got as many options there as you do with intercooling w water or air or anything else. For best efficiency, you would indeed need to use a finned coil style setup of some sort. Freon pressures would be less than 75 psi (at rest is when they would be highest - while running they would be in the 10-20 psi range). The condenser side is the one that runs high pressures. If I had to guess, I would say that running gaseous freon at 20psi thru an intercooler would be easier on it than running 20psi of liquid water thru it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

I was assuming that you would have an intercooler on top of the manifold acting as somewhat of a heat sink.