Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1 question >

Bravo 1 question

Notices

Bravo 1 question

Old 12-02-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 question

I removed my bravo 1 yesterday, & noticed something that I'm not sure is normal. I've pulled a few Alpha's in the past, but this is my first bravo. Is the cavity where the shift cable hooks to the linkage an oil cavity? I had drive oil coming out of the cavity. Then I saw an "O" ring around it, so I'm thinking this is normal, but then I realized that the shift cable is sitting in oil, that really didn't make sense. Sorry for the simple question, but I would rather ask & learn, then guess & be wrong. One other question, I'm removing the gimbal ring to be repaired, & the service manual shows 2 separate gimbals, a standard, & a hi-performance, according to the pics in the service manual I have a hi-performance. It shows a completely different method of removing the pivot pins. I need to get the pin removal tool, I just want to make sure I get the correct one. The method the manual is showing to remove the HP pins is with a slide hammer, but everything I've read is these pins are threaded in, just a bit confused with that also.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bravo 1 question

That cavity shouldnt have any oil in it.. There should only be grease on the mechanism. There are seals on the shift shaft that could be leaking.

The HP gimble has bolt in pins. The pins slide into the gimble and then two or four screws hold it in. If you remove the screws the pins should be easy to wiggle out. There is also a small threaded hole in the middle that you could screw a bolt in and pull on it to remove it.
IF you have trim sender and trim limit switches, then you have the standard transom assembly and the pins are screwed into the bellhousing (as Merc calls it). A large allen wrech will remove them..

Hope this helps.
Dick