oil temp sender >

oil temp sender

Notices

oil temp sender

Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp sender

Any idea where to mount a Oil Temperature Sender 100-320° 1/8" NPT (only one I could find at cp performance) on a BB 1980's era.
I cant remove the extra plug from the remote oil filter.
mike
Old 12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oil temp sender

Put the temp sender in the pan. See if you have an extra bung for it. That is the correct place for it anyway. You want to see what is happening to the oil as it comes off the engine internals.... not after it's gone through the cooler. If your engine is starting to melt down... you will see a temp spike in the oil.... but only if you measure it in the pan.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Registered

I dont see a bung from this pan...THe extra plug is next to the intake oil from motor, not after the cooler...I might be able to remove the hex head with a drill and tap, but would rather not. ANy other places I cant see? I already installed the gauge
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

Dtile;
Don't drill out the plug.
Anyone with experience can use an acetylene torch and heat the plug and then cool it to easily unscrew the plug.
If the remote oil filter base is aluminum, drain the oil out or take the filter off. Then heat just the plug with a small torch tip. It will expand in the aluminum housing and when it cools off in a minute, the steel plug will unscrew.

If the first session doesn't get it loose, quench it all down to room temperature and repeat. Sometimes it takes three times. Always works. I have taken rusted plugs out of exhaust manifolds with ease.

It is best if you remove the filter base from the car or boat and do the above operation in a vise. No fire danger.

Drilling it out is really unnecessary and still no guarantee you can unscrew the remnants of the plug.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

THnaks Reed and Von, I was able to remove the plug ok with some elbow grease and w2. Oil temp looks like @ 200 at WOT, manifold water @ 140 and block water @ 200. Good numbers? I use a crossover with no feed into thermostat which is restricted the size of a qaurter, running with no thermostat made it run too cold, and with a thermastat over heated... Still dialing in new motor. Runs sweet. Very happy. Even has a blower sound at 4600 which the machine shop tells me is his secret. Now for reprop....thanks again.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Registered

i installed my sender in the plug right above where the oil filter should go and I am carrying 190-200 there. My oil temp in the pan must be much higher because my oil psi drops down to 40-44 lbs when the motor get up to temps (water 160) cold oil psi I carry around 70-75lbs i do have a plug in my pan should i relocate it
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are in the pans. Figured that would be the hottest spot to check. My Canton pans came with 2 bungs so it made it easy.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mopower
Mine are in the pans. Figured that would be the hottest spot to check. My Canton pans came with 2 bungs so it made it easy.
Reading thru some of these old threads ..interesting stuff ...

Cal ... I'm thinking if you cant add the sender in the pan ..straight off the remote should really be close to oil pan Temps ? Its straight from the pump ...12" ?