engine coatings

Notices

engine coatings

Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: engine coatings

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Smitty is the man!!! He unfortunately has had an expensive education, but his info is dead nuts on and he knows what he's talking about. He should charge for the info he gives out here!!! Kirk
I agree....ol' Smitts has given out some very valuble info all based on personal experience. He's a great test bed for much of the stuff we all use. He's an asset to this forum.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks guys,I try to take pics of everything I do then put them in my boat pic files for later uses like when posting. I sure don't know everything but have learned alot,some things the hard way (I got the broken parts to prove it too ),Smitty
p.s-if someone is rebuilding a motor and their old pistons are a little looser than they'd like swain tech can apply the skirt coating extra thick to "save" from buying new pistons (as thick as .002 vs the std .0005 coating they use),Smitty
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
How do you send your heads to them? Is there any clean and prep work you have to do first? Pistons will be new so that's not a problem.

Here is some interesting reading that I came across while researching this project. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ion_ratio_tech
You just have them cleaned SPOTLESS,leave the springs off and finish the valve job befire sending them in (they coat the exhaust valves,ports and seats so you wouldn't want to have to cut the coating off when doing your valve job),Smitty
Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray and PatriYacht are correct.

First, you have to be very carefull about anything that increases the combustion temps. Yes, you may see a slight power increase if you're always running plenty of octane, but knock characteristics will probably be worse. If you coat the entire chamber, you'll also notice cooler running temps (especially in an air cooled engine)

Getting quench right is a much better thing to do for increasing compression.

As far as friction reduction is concerned, there shouldn't be metal to metal contact anyway!!! That's what oil is for. I've never seen a single study showing any benefits here.

Coatings tend to be usefull in highly restricted race classes where the builders are looking for every last hp. I don't know Nascar rules anymore, but I remember in the past they made good use of coatings, but I also remember them going nuts over an extra 3hp.