Notices

HP losses from Bravo 1X drive

Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HP losses from Bravo 1X drive

Originally Posted by bobl
I think what Strip is trying to say is a method to test the flywheel hp IN THE BOAT. Then you could tell exactly what the drive was costing. I believe the exaust routing in some boats (like Rage's Nordic) costs more power since it makes 2 sharp turns after the water mixes with the exhaust.
I remember asking Lonnie that exact question when I was specing the boat. No significant difference was the answer. Not sure I buy into that now.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bobl
Here are some numbers to stir things up. I just dyno'd a Whipple charged 383 on the prop shaft dyno. On the engine dyno it made 555 HP at 5800 RPM. Guess what it made at the prop shaft???? 490 The only difference was that the boat has Gibson mufflers. They aren't supposed to cost any HP, but even if they do that's a 65 HP loss running through a Bravo X drive. Interestingly the percentage loss increased with RPM. At 3600 it shows a 10% loss. More like 12% at 5800. So, on a 300 HP engine a Bravo does cost about 30 HP, but double that and the loss goes up proportionally. I'll be testing some other engine packages this winter so I'll post more results.
I just called Mercruiser tech support and asked what the hp loss is for a Bravo1 drive. The answer was : 10% for X or XR.
Comment?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
I just called Mercruiser tech support and asked what the hp loss is for a Bravo1 drive. The answer was : 10% for X or XR.
Comment?
So if I have 848hp and running it tru a XR its robbing 10% up to the factory rated rpm and if I am pulling it up to 6000rpm it would be more than 10%, Also since I and running a B Max with larger gears and bearings up top it would be even more of a HP loss. guessing 15%?????

127 HP loss

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To test the HP at the engine while in the boat you need my On-Board-Dyno setups but it will only work with a stellings box. You could actually use mine and the propshaft dyno at the same time and do simultaneously testing be it with div=fferent strain guages but if the calibration is accurate it wouldn't matter.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cobra marty
To test the HP at the engine while in the boat you need my On-Board-Dyno setups but it will only work with a stellings box. You could actually use mine and the propshaft dyno at the same time and do simultaneously testing be it with div=fferent strain guages but if the calibration is accurate it wouldn't matter.
What is the "On-Board-Dyno setup" of which you speak?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
So if I have 848hp and running it tru a XR its robbing 10% up to the factory rated rpm and if I am pulling it up to 6000rpm it would be more than 10%, Also since I and running a B Max with larger gears and bearings up top it would be even more of a HP loss. guessing 15%?????

127 HP loss
Even if it stays at 10% hope you have good drive showers and the best gear lube money can buy.