Notices

Melting Intercoolers

Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Melting Intercoolers

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Jeff Last season the old setup was 10-71 Monneys overdriven
at 18% with the Lee intercoolers and cupra cores.
Force fed Intercooler.
Ran flawless

So why Screw with it? Because of some of the horror
storys of PSI,s Eating Intercoolers.
I,m thinking the PSI,s need the xtra cooling at low engine speeds (high vacuum). Thats why whipple added the
Blower bleed ports. (screw charger)
I have been instructed by Roger at PSI to start anywhere
from 35 to 45 percent over to achieve what the mooneys
were running. (12LBS).
Roger stated that the melting of the intercooler is directly
related to Sucking the carb bowls dry.

After diassembly I noticed the intercooler was showing
discoloration towards the rear. This was with the Monneys.

Here is a picture with the new PSI adapter plate.

I know quit my whining and bolt it on and Just get Ratman
to throttle it!
I was at my engine builders last night picking up some pieces for paint and I asked him his thoughts on this. The motor he was working on had the the Whipple MOAC and also had a few dark spots on the core. He said they were fuel stains. I run Av gas and also see some dark blue stains on my cores too. Is this what you are seeing? I run the Cupra cores also and he said you would need some extreme heat to melt those babies down. The engines I were looking at were from "Predator" the 40 Skater here in Tucson. I think they dedicate a stage for these motors although I am not sure. I force feed mine and have had no problems.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way that blower discharge temps melted a core. I don't think that the blower itself would survive the temps required to melt aluminum. There was definitely a fire in the plenum. Corrosion could also be a culprit for perforations.

Rene
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldandtired
There is no way that blower discharge temps melted a core. I don't think that the blower itself would survive the temps required to melt aluminum. There was definitely a fire in the plenum. Corrosion could also be a culprit for perforations.

Rene
Turn your idle speed up & your fuel presure down ! you are fuel soaking the core.

Last edited by racinfever; 01-03-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steam

could a leaking innercooler cause tons of steam out the exhaust ?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Knot-right
I have melted one of the Whipple cupro nickel cores. I arrived at the conclusion that there was a plenum fire. The boat was under proped and the customer paid no attention and put it on the limiter. He knew it was under proped, but it kept going faster, so he kept the throttles pinned. When the rev limiter kicked in and started mis-firing, a plug obviously fired when the intake valve was open, thus lighting the fuel in the intake plenum. With 10 65# injectors and 50# of fuel pressure, there was plenty fuel to light. I took the core out and it was completely destroyed. I held a propane torch to it to see what it would do. I think propane burns around 800 degrees and it did nothing. I was told by Dustin that it takes almost 2000 degrees to melt that core.Whatever it takes, that one got about ten degrees over that, because it was trashed. Don't know if that helps. I believe and was told that is the only way to melt one. Who knows!!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Knot-right
I have melted one of the Whipple cupro nickel cores. I arrived at the conclusion that there was a plenum fire.
Bingo!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Fuel is what cools the blower.If a motor leans out it can shoot blower discharge temps greatly.Blower cavitation makes tremendous heat and is probably the culprit.Fuel volume is very important.You can have pressure and no volume which could lean an engine.Pre-ignition can flame back and melt a core.
Blower cavitation??? BLOWER CAVITATION??? Blower cavitation causing heat?..... What the hell are you pushing through the blower?... Water???Even water cavitation doesn't cause heat. When a propellor cavitates there is a decrease in pressure and a low pressure area is created in front of the prop. If you are confusing the "boiling" action of the water in cavitation... it isn't from heat... it is from lack of pressure. Water boils at room tempurature in a vacuum. A roots type blower is nothing more than a pump. It pumps air with a fuel mixture.. How could it cavitate? If you close the throttle plates on the intake the blower doesn't cavitate... it is running in a low pressure atmosphere. If it were running in a vacuum there wouldn't be any resistance to the motor by the blower...Here is a simple example of what happens when you cut off the air to a blower. Stick your hand over the intake hose of your vacuum cleaner... do you hear the vacuum motor slow down?... Or do you hear the motor speed up?... IT SPEEDS UP, because it is running in a low pressure atmosphere and the blades aren't pressurizing anything. Heat in a blower is a direct result of the air being compressed. If you take pressure off a gas... you have a DECREASE in temp... not an increase. If there is an increase in tempurature of the blower components, it's because of friction and the heat isn't dissapated into the air being pushed into the engine. Air rushes into the blower on the intake side because of atmospheric pressure... It exits on the discharge side at a higher pressure and tempurature due to compression. If you take a volume of air and compress it to half it's volume... you are going to have double the heat. . . Am I the only person that didn't fail high school physics?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Blower cavitation??? BLOWER CAVITATION??? Blower cavitation causing heat?..... What the hell are you pushing through the blower?... Water???Even water cavitation doesn't cause heat. When a propellor cavitates there is a decrease in pressure and a low pressure area is created in front of the prop. If you are confusing the "boiling" action of the water in cavitation... it isn't from heat... it is from lack of pressure. Water boils at room tempurature in a vacuum. A roots type blower is nothing more than a pump. It pumps air with a fuel mixture.. How could it cavitate? If you close the throttle plates on the intake the blower doesn't cavitate... it is running in a low pressure atmosphere. If it were running in a vacuum there wouldn't be any resistance to the motor by the blower...Here is a simple example of what happens when you cut off the air to a blower. Stick your hand over the intake hose of your vacuum cleaner... do you hear the vacuum motor slow down?... Or do you hear the motor speed up?... IT SPEEDS UP, because it is running in a low pressure atmosphere and the blades aren't pressurizing anything. Heat in a blower is a direct result of the air being compressed. If you take pressure off a gas... you have a DECREASE in temp... not an increase. If there is an increase in tempurature of the blower components, it's because of friction and the heat isn't dissapated into the air being pushed into the engine. Air rushes into the blower on the intake side because of atmospheric pressure... It exits on the discharge side at a higher pressure and tempurature due to compression. If you take a volume of air and compress it to half it's volume... you are going to have double the heat. . . Am I the only person that didn't fail high school physics?
I can give the # for Marv from the Blower Shop and he can tell you too.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Where is the ole Boost Daddy anyway? Marvelous get out of the shadows and set us straight
Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If discoloration on the innercooler is on the exit side/bottom it could be reversion,too much overlap in the cam,also low port velocity at idle.Like the exhaust charge coming back up into the intake..

I know Dustin Whipple has some expearace with some innercoolers that were melted from the bottom side.I know of 3 that were on Whipple quad set up .I think it was cam related??? Maybe he will chime in as to what caused it and what can cause one to melt

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Melting Intercoolers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.