Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New 731 Roller or get a Custom Grind? >

New 731 Roller or get a Custom Grind?

Notices

New 731 Roller or get a Custom Grind?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: New 731 Roller or get a Custom Grind?

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
(1) With this combination would it be worth the time to have a custom cam made for my application? Will I see that much of gain in HP?

(3) Any other suggestions would be great.

Stroked 496 MarkIV
9:5: Compression Ratio
Edelbrock Marine Heads, Oval , 110CC
Imco Exhaust
RPM AirGap Intake
Barry Grant 750DP
Currently Comp Cam Extreme Marine 270
224/234 @.050 and .550 lift

I only want to spin this setup to 5,300 RPMS Max

This thread got interesting.

Any suggestions for my application
Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure...
Merc builds a 500 cube engine that makes about 540HP at 5300rpm, the 525EFI...
You are building basically a 500 cube engine with similar parts. Why not use the same Crane cam?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Call up Crane and get a 525HP Mercury cam.It runs good in alot of combos.They make the cams for Mercury
Hmmm...
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam choices? Yea, same as above. JC likes the 741. He is way out of my league in building engines, but I think thats a bit much with the heads you have, which is why I said that the 731 may be a better choice. The 525 EFI cam IS a 741, just on a 114 LSa, instead of a 112 LSA, so just a bit "milder"
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I believe I understand where you are coming from, but my thinking is that if you are going to start releasing comb pressure why do it slowly - ie: longer seat to .050" ? You'll get some pressure release but not a whole lot of flow.

If we want max exhaust flow, why wouldn't we get the exh valve to open faster ? Less psi to help evacuate the exhaust at 'flowing lifts' doesn't seem as favorable to me as more psi at 'flowing lifts.'

The pressure decay of a low compression engine (piston going down during power stroke) isn't that fast and the psi itself isn't all that high - compared to higher compression engine.

So, if we decide on this 10 degree split is best for this certain engine, why wouldn't we open it then and get it open as fast as possible to use the combustion pressure to our adavantage ?

Again, the piston is going down here, therefore we are using only pressure differences to evacuate the cylinder.

As we know, the more gases left in cylinder the more pumping losses we'll see as piston then comes up and has to force rest of exhaust out.

=====================
I've studied a lot of wide exhaust seat durations this past year and a bunch of motors + applications will like up to 10 degree seat and at .050" (not all of course - many like lower)spread but I've very rarely seen any respond to say 13,14, or etc spread. Reading on the 12-16 spreads with very high compression and/or nitrous and/or big boost SC engines, has revealed this still causes some power loss (not that much because of higher comb psi - psi decay quicker because of high psi) but is to releive the parts eating heat that would cause problems if exh valve was closed a little longer.

BTW: Studied means I'm still looking at this stuff, and thus why my questions. It's pretty interesting and a pretty deep area of information. Therefore, I'm not poking but just trying to pick your brain - as I'm doing with many others on this subject - to see as many explanations / theories / experiences on this subject. Always more than one way to skin a cat. Poor ol' cat. LOL.

Sprinters like to run, Walkers like to walk....you have to work with what you are given.

Ports the flow air quickly: Give them a lobe that opens the valve quick and shuts it quick.

Ports that flow air adequaetly: Give them a lobe that opens moderately quick but needs some time (duration) to allow the head to fill/evac the cylinder.

Ports that flow air poorly: Give them a lobe that opens the valve moderatly but gives the head alot of time (duration) to fill the cylinder.