salt water and my new trailer

Notices

salt water and my new trailer

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: salt water and my new trailer

I agree with Cuda. I had a steel Nordic trailer and it started to rust the first time it got dunked in salt. I washed and rinsed the heck out of it too. Face it, steel is for fresh water. When I was looking for a new boat, if it came with a steel trailer I passed on it...never again Get an aluminum trailer and be done with it.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
Buy a Myco.....

if you guys can't find it, let me know and i'll take a dig. pic and post it.
I have a Myco.

I would like to see a pic of what you're refering to.

I had some minor rust on the center beams, but had them refinished. I now also coat suspect area's with that Boeshield stuff from West Marine.

Anyone here sell aluminum Myco's for a 38 TG?
I need to trade/sell mine.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only dunked it once for salt water boating. haven't seen the trailer in weeks now im wondering if its back to what it was before I had it sand blasted and repainted.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The outsides of steel trailers are coated pretty well. The problem is water WILL get inside the trailer and it will rust from the inside out. (like Cuda stated) I know a guy with an Eagle that is looking to put an air fitting on the trailer frame so he can pressureize the trailer before dunking it. although the air will leak out it should keep pressure long enough to keep water out when dunked. (hasn't done it yet but working on it)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a steel channel trailer that I bought new in 01. I have dunked it in brackish several times and it still looks like new. I think the channel part of this is very important. I wash the thing down very well as soon as I pull it out of the water but there is not a thing you could do with a tube trailer.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanted to spend the time, if you have a trailer made from steel tubing, you could coat the insides of the tube with an oil based rust preventative then seal it up. That's how the old biplanes were built. Each frame tube was coated internally with a rust preventative after welding. Linseed oil I believe. The trailer exterior would need a multi step coating process ($$$$) to prevent rusting.

Last edited by Iggy; 01-04-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a steel Myco (channel) and an Eagle (box). The Myco I have sandblasted and re-finished, the Eagle is showing signs of rust on the inside. Nothing I can do but replace it. Oh, both of these trailers are fresh water use.
Ken
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
If you wanted to spend the time, if you have a trailer made from steel tubing, you could coat the insides of the tube with an oil based rust preventative then seal it up. That's how the old biplanes were built. Each frame tube was coated internally with a rust preventative after welding. Linseed oil I believe. The trailer exterior would need a multi step coating process ($$$$) to prevent rusting.
Or just buy an aluminum trailer.

As far as welded aluminum trailers, even Myco's have been known to break welds. I've never, ever had a bolt break.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Registered

ALUMINUM DOES RUST!.. That white pitting you see on aluminum trailers is aluminum rusting away. Obviously at a much slower rate than steel, but it does rust.

If your looking for an Aluminum trailer on the west coast, I would look at Pacific Trailer in Chino, CA. They just started building aluminum trailers and are very similar to a Myco. All welded frames and bunk supports as opposed to your typical I-beam bolt together erector set.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOTPURSUIT2
ALUMINUM DOES RUST!.. That white pitting you see on aluminum trailers is aluminum rusting away. Obviously at a much slower rate than steel, but it does rust.

If your looking for an Aluminum trailer on the west coast, I would look at Pacific Trailer in Chino, CA. They just started building aluminum trailers and are very similar to a Myco. All welded frames and bunk supports as opposed to your typical I-beam bolt together erector set.
That's not rust, that's electrolisis from dissimilar metals. Rust is by definition iron oxide.

Quick Reply: salt water and my new trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.