Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   What Hydraulic Roller Lifters to Run in A Dart Block? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/148789-what-hydraulic-roller-lifters-run-dart-block.html)

HARDCORE A/O 01-08-2007 09:05 PM

What Hydraulic Roller Lifters to Run in A Dart Block?

This one is for the engine builders:
I've run into a problem in assembling my 540 Dart - block BBC. The problem is that the lifter bosses (unmachined) on the Dart block are very tall compared to my Merlin III block and my new Comp "R" Series (Hyd. Roller) lifters won't work due to the tie bars bottoming out on the block just before the roller makes contact w/ the cam (bottom of the lobe). My Crane Roller lifters are slightly better (longer) but are VERY close and I'm concerned that when the lifters are popping up an down at high RPM's the end of the tie bar will bind on the block and break. Does anybody know if there are some taller hydraulic roller lifters out there that can work?
BTW: My cam is a custom Comp with .652" and .646" lift intake and exhaust respectively. I can't believe that the base circle of the cam is so low that there isn't a lifter on the market that can't work? Pulling the engine apart to have the lifter bosses machined down wouldn't be an option that I would consider at this stage.
If necessary I'll have to resort to a solid roller setup because I know that there are .300" taller solid roller lifters available from Comp Cams.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx

cstraub 01-09-2007 08:32 AM

Re: What Hydraulic Roller Lifters to Run in A Dart Block?

PM RMbuilder he has the Morels on the shelf. The body is .300" longer and will clear the Dart blocks no problem.

Cam-shaft 01-09-2007 09:17 AM

Isky red zones are .300 longer and an excellent quality lifter.
Thanks, Cam-shaft.

Ryan00TJ 01-09-2007 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cam-shaft (Post 1987590)
Isky red zones are .300 longer and an excellent quality lifter.
Thanks, Cam-shaft.

X2, Word is that Morel makes them for Isky.

mrhorsepower1 01-09-2007 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by cstraub (Post 1987517)
PM RMbuilder he has the Morels on the shelf. The body is .300" longer and will clear the Dart blocks no problem.

We build Morel's engines and I am a WD for his AWESOME lifters!

cstraub 01-09-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 1987796)
We build Morel's engines and I am a WD for his AWESOME lifters!

Yes and that FE will runnnnnn..... Dean have you found the Morels to fit the Dart blocks no problem?

HARDCORE A/O 01-22-2007 03:43 PM

Thanks Guys. I've since found out from the Comp Cams Catalog that the right part # for the .300" taller Pro - Magnum hydraulic roller lifter is 8954-16. Does anybody know about these? If so, how do they compare to the Morels. I hadn't heard of Morel lifters until very recently. Thx.

Ryan00TJ 01-22-2007 05:11 PM

Morels are at the top of the game. IMO the best on the market today. I recently spent lots of time researching the best Hyd roller lifter for my new build and they are a cut above from what I ran across. Also talking to engine builders revealed the same thing. I found out Morel supplies lifters for Isky, Lunati, Doug Herbert Performance.

It seems they use better quality materials and have a better heat treating process than others. They are also priced right in line with others on the market.

I'm also an LS1 engine builder and Morel is the #1 lifter for these engines.

My Morels....

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/439...ers13dw.th.jpg

jdub 01-22-2007 07:45 PM

What does a set of Morels cost?

Ryan00TJ 01-22-2007 09:18 PM

My SBC were $450.

WildWarrior 01-23-2007 06:29 AM

We run hydraulic Cranes in our blown 565CIs Dart blocks with a little more lift than your set up , 180lbs of spring pressure and she quickly twists to 6400rpms still pulling with know valve float and zero issuses.
We built our Topgun motor's to the same specs and we experienced zero valve train issues in two full seasons of running.
Good Luck!