Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Best brand of exhaust tips?

Thanks, it's got the right rumble.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Rex Marine advertised some tips that don't rattle at idle with some type of guarantee. Might be worth checking out! Steve
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have CMIs, no exhaust tip needed. Just add flappers!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
I thought Rex Marine advertised some tips that don't rattle at idle with some type of guarantee. Might be worth checking out! Steve
You are correct. The Superflapper™ is guaranteed for life even on blown applications. They do not rattle like our older no burn style flappers that pivoted on a 3/16 shaft. Those were pretty noisy particularly with a large cam. Others that copied them still make them. There are still rubber butterfly flaps on the market, which we stopped making a decade ago because they burn off.

The Superflapper™ rotates with the 5/16" shaft it's mounted on in special hi-temp bushings. It bolts to the shaft too so if it ever requires replacement no welding is required which was not the case with our older no burn flappers. Here's a link.

Also our tips are made out of 316L tube, not 304 or rolled sheet. And they're .083 wall thickness, not .065. 316L is more corrosion resistant than 304.

They're more money than the other tips mentioned. There's a reason. Most of the reason is in the flapper. If I can help please let me know.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been looking for tips like that as well (rex marine) but here is the question. I have a 2006 42 Ex Fountain. and it looks like they mount the tips from the inside and have a black trim rim only on the outside. Now who can tell me how or what tips I need, with the correct angle of the exterior mounting flang so that I can go with longer angel cut tips??? I love the old school look also..BZ

I love the look of the SST142's.....
Old 01-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
I have been looking for tips like that as well (rex marine) but here is the question. I have a 2006 42 Ex Fountain. and it looks like they mount the tips from the inside and have a black trim rim only on the outside. Now who can tell me how or what tips I need, with the correct angle of the exterior mounting flang so that I can go with longer angel cut tips??? I love the old school look also..BZ

I love the look of the SST142's.....
Bob the 142's are our standard lgn tip (most popular) but a lot of the larger boats (like Fountains) use the 152's also (just longer). All our tips have a countersunk flange (6" od) which can be screwed on from the outside (ok) or thru-bolted with nuts on the inside (best). There is no ring required on the inside. The vast majority of the time straight flanges are the way to go. We build very very little 12º flange stuff, in fact I normally only build them special order any more. Your transom is likely already in the 12º range.

The tips you've likley seen with the black rings are similar to the style we supplied Fountain with for years that have no flange welded to the tube. They used and oring sealed flange they made and just slid the tube through it. The only advantage to doing that is you have a little fudge room as far as angle of tube through the transom. We make stainless flanges with silicone gaskets you can do that with also. I could supply a 142 or 152 tube with Superflapper™ along with that style flange/gasket. For that large a boat I'd go with the 152 longer tip to achieve that old skool look. We can also supply straight ended tip (SST127) same as above (also a 15" long tube).

Feel free to contact me for more info. Thanks

Last edited by rexone; 01-19-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,

There's your answere! Rex did fix the rattle problem with the tips. I've seen a few in use and the guys running them seem to be happy.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rexone
Bob the 142's are our standard lgn tip (most popular) but a lot of the larger boats (like Fountains) use the 152's also (just longer). All our tips have a countersunk flange (6" od) which can be screwed on from the outside (ok) or thru-bolted with nuts on the inside (best). There is no ring required on the inside. The vast majority of the time straight flanges are the way to go. We build very very little 12º flange stuff, in fact I normally only build them special order any more. Your transom is likely already in the 12º range.

The tips you've likley seen with the black rings are similar to the style we supplied Fountain with for years that have no flange welded to the tube. They used and oring sealed flange they made and just slid the tube through it. The only advantage to doing that is you have a little fudge room as far as angle of tube through the transom. We make stainless flanges with silicone gaskets you can do that with also. I could supply a 142 or 152 tube with Superflapper™ along with that style flange/gasket. For that large a boat I'd go with the 152 longer tip to achieve that old skool look. We can also supply straight ended tip (SST127) same as above (also a 15" long tube).

Feel free to contact me for more info. Thanks
you got mail...BZ
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rexone
You are correct. The Superflapper™ is guaranteed for life even on blown applications. They do not rattle like our older no burn style flappers that pivoted on a 3/16 shaft. Those were pretty noisy particularly with a large cam. Others that copied them still make them. There are still rubber butterfly flaps on the market, which we stopped making a decade ago because they burn off.

The Superflapper™ rotates with the 5/16" shaft it's mounted on in special hi-temp bushings. It bolts to the shaft too so if it ever requires replacement no welding is required which was not the case with our older no burn flappers. Here's a link.

Also our tips are made out of 316L tube, not 304 or rolled sheet. And they're .083 wall thickness, not .065. 316L is more corrosion resistant than 304.

They're more money than the other tips mentioned. There's a reason. Most of the reason is in the flapper. If I can help please let me know.
Can just the flappers be replaced or do you need to purchase the whole tip assembly?

Quick Reply: Best brand of exhaust tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.