MSD Ignition .... >

MSD Ignition ....

Notices

MSD Ignition ....

Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MSD Ignition ....

MSD has a new "marine" control box 6m-2L (6560) .... I have been told that they aren't available and MSD doesn't know when they will be ... Any info out there ? m
Attached Thumbnails MSD Ignition ....-6560l.jpg  
Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
TC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MSD Ignition ....

Dont know anything about it but I would purchase the marine ignition from Crane if I were buying again. Cranes box has advance curves programmed in and all you do is chose the one that fits your build. I have been running an MSD 6AL box for many years with no problems. After I built my new engine I had to start searching for Thunderboldt ignition modules to fit my needs. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TC
Dont know anything about it but I would purchase the marine ignition from Crane if I were buying again. Cranes box has advance curves programmed in and all you do is chose the one that fits your build. I have been running an MSD 6AL box for many years with no problems. After I built my new engine I had to start searching for Thunderboldt ignition modules to fit my needs. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
I would recommend going with the Crane unit also.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Me too.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TC
I talked to crane and they said the curves are specific for the merc motors they list .. They Also told me they dont have a Distributor that will work in a Mercruiser .. .. guess I should have told em it was for a truck ...

HI-6M Marine Ignition

? FireBall HI-6M increases HP, torque, RPM and throttle response!
? 3x more spark-gap energy than comparable ignitions!
? Surface-mount, robotics assembly technology and fully-digital design delivers far greater unit reliability!
? ?No-chips? adjustable rev-limiter is built in, and uses adjustable rotary switches in 100 RPM increments from 600-9900 RPM.
? Triggers from Mercury Marine? or other distributors or crank triggers with magnetic pickup. (Thunderbolt V? module not required)
? Crossfire protection great for use with Nitrous-Oxide systems, Superchargers or Turbos!
? Knock Sensor Input to prevent engine damage on turbo/supercharged or nitrous oxide applications, or from low octane fuel.
? Six different advance curves tailored for Mercury Marine? applications, (HP 425, HP 450,HP 500, HP 500SC, HP 600SC, and HP 800SC) or no advance for fixed timing.
? Fully Potted, and Weather-Pak terminated, for resistance to harsh marine environments!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use your stock Mercury distributor already set up for marine environment and we have used these systems since they came out without 1 failure. I will never buy another MSD product but I do have a shelf full of old MSD systems as a reminder of why the do not not hold up in boats. MSD distributor look in the dictionary under rust it will be first in line. MY 2 CENTS
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
TC
Registered

It seems like I have seen a post or possibly a web site at one time that graphed the advance curves that were programmed into the Crane marine ignition to work with Merc HP engines. As I recall one of the curves should work for nearly any marine build.

Have you considered the Crane electronic distributor?? You simply "dial in" your advance curve. Billet aluminum housing and fully urethane sealed from moisture. $319.99 from Jegs
Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

I had planned on using my TB IV setup but there is no rev limit ...that worries me ...Also the distributor is 18 years old .... My HP is about 2x and a busted drive could be diaster without a rev Limit ..
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TC
It seems like I have seen a post or possibly a web site at one time that graphed the advance curves that were programmed into the Crane marine ignition to work with Merc HP engines. As I recall one of the curves should work for nearly any marine build.

Have you considered the Crane electronic distributor?? You simply "dial in" your advance curve. Billet aluminum housing and fully urethane sealed from moisture. $319.99 from Jegs
I'm open ...thats why i asked ..

I talked to a company the repairs the MSD's .. They suggested the 6ALN (nascar box) Said it can repaired where some are sealed in a epoxy and cant be ..They also can get Nascar boxes for about 150.00 ...The teams run them for about 10 hours and unload them ...not sure that would be such a great deal ... Although they are tested .....

Last edited by offthefront; 01-30-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by TC
If you like tempting fate with a non marine approved Distributor. At this time, Crane does not have a marine approved one. Kiss your insurance goodbye.

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.