Canvas Snap Tools >

Canvas Snap Tools

Notices

Canvas Snap Tools

Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canvas Snap Tools

I have some snaps on my cockpit cover that always come undone when towing, the ones at the center of the windshield. So my assumption is that the female side of the snap is worn out. So in looking for a snap replacement tool, is there one that's better than the others? And how do you get the old snap out of the canvas...drilling?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Canvas Snap Tools

Pretty sure Boat US has them.

The easiest way to remove them is with a dremel with a small ball-shaped carbide burr. Grind off the little crimped-over nub on the underside. A drill bit will grab and spin the cap and can burn thru the cover.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Registered

Scott I told you I have them don't buy anyting
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Sidecutters are fast and don't hurt your canvas, some call them linemans pliers, use em every day, ! Have a canvas shop!
Don
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Racine
Sidecutters are fast and don't hurt your canvas, some call them linemans pliers, use em every day, ! Have a canvas shop!
Don
What he said. Putting new snaps in is another issue however. There is no "cheap" and "easy" way to install snaps. A cheap method is manual using an anvil like device to hold head then using a driver tool to bend center down. Will work, but not 100%. There are some special "heads" that will fit on a big pair of vise grips. AGain these do work, a bit more expensive than first method, but not 100%. The real deal is a specialty tool that costs over 100 bucks. But works everytime. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you get a good tool to install the snaps? Not the vise grip style or that manual one you hit with a hammer.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

I don't remember where I got it , was about 10 yrs ago. Its like a big C-clamp with a handel and has different dies that go inboth sides of it. Works great you can't mess it up
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

Fasnap.com every fastner , gromet , plastic fastner you have ever seen, go into the catalog. Page 57 press n snap!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hunster
Fasnap.com every fastner , gromet , plastic fastner you have ever seen, go into the catalog. Page 57 press n snap!
I couldn't get the links to their catalog to work.

I have access to the tool from my supplier but you have to be a dealer and have an account to buy from them. My cost on the tool is $129.00 plus shipping. If interested I can order one for you and have it drop shipped directly to you. Send me an email to: [email protected] if interested.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slivings
I have some snaps on my cockpit cover that always come undone when towing, the ones at the center of the windshield. So my assumption is that the female side of the snap is worn out. So in looking for a snap replacement tool, is there one that's better than the others? And how do you get the old snap out of the canvas...drilling?

Thanks
If the new female snaps dont work try the pull dot snaps.The snaps have to be pulled from behind. The wind from trailering wont be able to lift your cover off. I have them in the front of the windsheild on my boat.

Quick Reply: Canvas Snap Tools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.