Notices

Augh! Setting up my amps

Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Augh! Setting up my amps

I forgot to clarify HU settings.

Volume at 3/4 full and left there for the amp tuning?

Treble, bass, and SUB all centered/neutral/default or fully down? As when you 1st power up a stereo for the 1st time, the bass and such are in the middle of the scales.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check to make sure that the Bass output level is set flat and that Loudness is turned off?

Volume at 3/4 is probably ok. What head unit is it? Sony, Clarion......

Jon
Old 02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Well Bill and I are close to the same recommendations.... How do ya like that. Some slight variations on the way things are but that is mostly probably due to the fact that we really do not know how the system is wired. My only disagreement with him is the cross over settings. In cars we leave a gap in the cross over point because cars have a natural peak that ussually happens in the 60-120K range. Boats are so open that ussually does not happen. I have found that in fact due to the open nature of a boat those frequencies get lost. With your subs on the floor the bigest problem that I see is getting the bass up to your ear. That audio is going to be coupled hard to the floor....
I chose a lower sub X-over due to the fact they are free air, AND I have just set up a boat w/ same woofers and almost same amp (500/1 vs the 250/1). The lower x-over performed better in that situation. I have never heard of the wide gap in boats. Interesting!
I 'have" tried closing the gap, but thought is sounded poor. That just goes to show, different enviroments/ different settings. Either method will result in decent sound, but then you must take it to the next level by tuning it to your enviroment/ear.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Now for the hardest part that takes years to figure out and I can guarantee the car guys do not understand. When you feel that you are missing something then you do not want to ADD what you are missing for sound you want to bring down what there is to much of. In other words if you feel that the subs are not strong enough, don't try and force them up, take the highs down for best sound. It is a lot harder then it sounds. I ussually start with my sub gains then bring up the highs to match. I have found that to be the easiest.

Hope that helps ya out some.

Jon
Bingo!!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Sony MEX-R5
http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuse...FQsEVAodVkcKng

Thanks Guys.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BillR
I chose a lower sub X-over due to the fact they are free air, AND I have just set up a boat w/ same woofers and almost same amp (500/1 vs the 250/1). The lower x-over performed better in that situation. I have never heard of the wide gap in boats. Interesting!
I 'have" tried closing the gap, but thought is sounded poor. That just goes to show, different enviroments/ different settings. Either method will result in decent sound, but then you must take it to the next level by tuning it to your enviroment/ear.
I agree with ya. We are just tossing out starting points then tweek from there. When I get real confused I break out my RTA (real time analyser for you Fountain ). You have to be carefull with those however becuase what can look great on a RTA will ussually sound like crap. Human ears do not replicate a RTA!! I did not want a gap between the subs and highs. It is what I have found as a good start possition in boats. Then work from there. Just what I find easier. As you know there is not a set way that HAS to be done. When I do the larger systems with parametrics and such then I have a hired gun. The guy is amazing what he does. Can take him 5 visits to get it 100% but man what a difference he makes!!

Jon
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

update.

Not sure what is going on, but the mono amp is hardly putting out any volume. At least last night I could get it to thump really good. I have to turn the HU up full and the gain near full. Set to the low input setting too. Now it makes no difference if it is 12 or 24db, nothing much there on either.

I thought the battery might be weak, but it runs the 4 channel just fine, so I unhooked the power signal to it to keep all the juice to the mono amp only. No change. Battery charger made no difference. It seems like I have to have the HU sub adj way up for anything to happen. THinking the Sub circut was bad, I used the front line rcas to feed the mono amp, no change. The subs don't have a thump thump to them, but more of a low mumbleing to them. doesn't sound right. Tried different RCA cables, no change. Checked the speaker wiring, ok. Then switch to my other battery, no change. Can the amp be bad now?
Also, if I turn the sub setting all the way down at the HU, it turns off any sound to the subs and also says ATT on the screen. Kinda like a disable feature. So I have to at least have it bumped up 1 notch. The amp power light is always on. The manual states if the battery voltage drops below 10 v, the amp will shut off and the light go out.
Is there a way to check the amp w/o unhooking everything and taking it in?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Charge battery overnight

Double check the input section and make sure the input sel switch is on low and the level is at least 12 O'clock.

Double check output of sub level on Sony - put it mid way and make sure RCA cables are plugged into the sub out - which on Sony's is on a pigtail of wires.

It 'could' be the amp, but those things are pretty tough

Jon,
Who makes that RTA?
One of my staff decided they liked mine better than I did and we need a new one. I haven't seen one (but haven't look "real" hard either) but would like to get one again.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 02-07-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I agree don't set your sub outs to 0 on the head unit, set them half way. So if the scale is 0-10 put it at 5, 0-20 put it at 10.

Put a ohm meter on the speakers and make sure that they are reading 2ohms. It really sounds to me like you have a short. You have to take the speaker leads away from the amp to test this. If they read 2 ohms then put the amp to full range and see if you get any output from the amp.

Jon
Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Bill the RTA that I use is http://industrialaudiocontrol.com/pr...50&l1=5650&l2=

Quick Reply: Augh! Setting up my amps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.