Notices

Headers

Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

Any one here running lightning headers.Wonder how they hold up.Seems like a good price if they hold up. The ones with stainless inners and powdercoated outers. Thanks JOHN
Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Default Re: Headers

If you keep the flushed and drain them after every use, you will probley get a good three years of use. Hope this helps
Old 02-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Headers

I have had the Lightning "freshwater" headers (stainless inner /powdercoated outer) for about three years now with no problems even with extended downtime/storage and saltwater use, even though, I live on an island in the Caribbean where temps almost never get below 70 and average about 82 -85 year round. I flush the motor with fresh water after each use and try my best to remeber to drain the headers but truthfully have only done this a few times.
All in all, I would have to say that they are a pretty damn good deal. If you want to spend lots more money for a little more flash then buy the CMI's.
I'm only thinking of changimg them now because I need a bigger (2 1/4") primary pipe. Lightning doesn't make them that size and the CMI "big tubes" are over $6,000.00 a set, which is ridiculous in my opinion.
just my 2 cents...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

One thing I don't like about the Lightnings and this applies to all tubular headers is the water manifold that is necessary. This hangs down below the headers and hampers acess to the oil filter,starter etc. and because you have like 9 hose clamps per side, I'm always slicing the sh!t outta my arms on one of them like when I'm changing plugs or the filter.Also, when I took them off recently I could hearing quite a bit of what I'm sure is loose rust inside (like when you shake them) so I'm not sure how much longer they will last.
There is another option which I am looking at right now in the same price range which is the Dana Flo-Torque Manifolds with the Vortex risers. They have three different risers depending on HP output (from like 300 -1200 HP) which gives you flexibilty to upgrade your header. I don't think anyone else can offer that. Besides the manifolds look good and can be powdercoated any color you want so you can have all the "bling" you want and still run good to boot. Check them out by doing a search on this site and you'll see a lot of people actually see a real gain by installing the Dana's.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

STAINLESS MARINE mine are going on 13yrs this yr and only run in the ocean , I m running dry pipes