Question about dry exhaust???

Notices

Question about dry exhaust???

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyoffshore
I am thinking of running dry pipes, but I have some concerns. How hot do the pipes and headers get when you run them dry? Are there any fire issues? Does it create more heat in the engine compartment? Will the headers and pipes discolor from the added heat? My Wet CMI’s are 13 years old and look like new. I can place my hand on my pipes while the motor is running and not get burned. What are the advantages of running dry pipes, besides the sweet sound? Thanks, Johnny
Dry pipes are still double wall pipes. The inner pipe that has the exhaust gases is still surrounded by a layer of water. The exterior pipe remains the same temperture as a wet tail.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Custom Marine (CMI) makes dry exhuast.

The advantage is no concern about reversion.

The headers do not get hot. Water still runs threw the headers, it's seperate from the exhaust.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

How many HP's do you gain by switching to dry pipes? I think I might switch over to dry pipes. What are all the pro's and con's of wet vs dry? Do you have to change headers or just re-route the water to them? I love the sound, louder the better as far as I am concerned. Thanks, Johnny
Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the sound, louder the better as far as I am concerned. Thanks, Johnny
Hopefully you are among the 10% who have "iron ears" that are not as susceptible to hearing damage as the rest of us. Otherwise, you will be looking at deafness at some or all frequencies, and a permanent ringing in the ears. Take it from someone who has some of both. I never go without earplugs anymore. Those engines sound great, but its not worth not being able to hear all the other things that life has to offer.

Michael

P.S. DryPipeTiger, that is a fantastic video, that just puts a smile on my face everytime I watch it. You've got some nice cams in those engines. If anyone else wants to post similar videos, I'm sure we would all love to see/hear them.

Last edited by Michael1; 02-19-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have Stellings dry pipes...no mufflers. My friends tell me it's LOUD when on plane. My cams are docile/mild enough where they don't have much of an annoying lopey sound at idle, but they still have that dry snap, rattle, empty metal trash can sound. With most people, the lumpier the idle the more annoying it is to them. Not out to bother or make life miserable for anyone....I just like listening to my engines working so to speak---without a muffler system! Bout 98% of the time I wear ear plugs while on plane.

I always expect to hear some sort of racket out on the water. I usually try to boat in areas where it isn't too much of a concern or during an event like a poker run or something where it doesn't matter for the day/weekend, but someone is usually going to complain or gripe no matter where you're at.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

I am thinking of running dry pipes, but I have some concerns. How hot do the pipes and headers get when you run them dry? Are there any fire issues? Does it create more heat in the engine compartment? Will the headers and pipes discolor from the added heat? My Wet CMI’s are 13 years old and look like new. I can place my hand on my pipes while the motor is running and not get burned. What are the advantages of running dry pipes, besides the sweet sound? Thanks, Johnny
The only difference in water flow it that in a wet system you dump and mix the cooling water into the exhast. In a dry system you keep the exhausts and cooling water separated the whole way and also dump them separately.

The thing you will notice is the louder sound and perhaps some power increase (and those applauses when you turn it off... ). The risk of reversion is very limited with dry's.

The thing that most often brake in headers are the welds that might crack from the repeated heat cycles with the stainless steel expanding/contracting. But they may still look like new on the outside...