Notices

Ethanol ?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fever27
Thanks for the info...do you think some booster could bring it back up safe enough to burn off the winter fuel? Maybe half tank then, dump some fresh in it?

Sorry Rich not trying to steal the thread..
I can't answer that and don't take my posts as gospel. This info is related to what Rich asked about besides, he's running on paddles at the moment
I keep stating this is how I understand it based on everything I've read but even I'm not convinced I have all the info. I was told that gasoline as we used to know it is now made at 83 octane and the ethanol is mixed in just before delivery to bring it up to the desired octane (I think I remember that correctly anyway). Based on this I'm not willing to run low octane water mixed fuel through an engine that costs alot more than a tank of fuel.

If adding octane boost and water absorbers works to safely allow an engine to run old ethanol fuel please pass that info along to me too. My tanks are already empty and I plan on dumping the 10-15 gallons of generator fuel I've kept around too this spring.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99fever27
Great news...I filled up prior to winter layup. I am not sure it had ethanol in the fuel then. Should I just burn of the fuel and keep changing filters or should I drain and start fresh?
i am just going to add 10 gallons of 110 race gas in april
Old 02-10-2007, 04:29 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Doc were you able to read the email?
Yes I was and I found my mag and read it.Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ethanol will not improve with octane booster. if you have a skater or another brand of boat with fiberglass tanks , it WILL eat away at them and you will have problems with de-lam. after winter 99 drain it and have a big ol camp fire or have fun grenading your engine.
doc i have quad rotors in the 42 with big water sep/ fuel filters. no probs. no filter will cause you probs , no doubt . call dustin and ask him again.
this is the filter. made by ramco performance
Attached Thumbnails Ethanol ?-p1010056.jpg  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by t500hps
As I understand it, in approx 90 days the fuel will turn into 83 octane with some amount of water in the fuel. You decide, but I wouldn't burn it in mine if it had ethanol in it.
That I believe is for Gasahol, which is 90% 83 octane and 10% 102 octane Ethanol. What most gas stations carry is 98% 87 octain and 2% Ethanol. Gas pumps should specify which you are running. The Gasahol is suposed to be clearly marked.

I know the gasahol we run is 90 octane and I leave my tanks as empty as possible for the winter. With some stabilizer in it. I use Seafoam. There are some new ones made just for Gasahol. In the spring I fill my tanks up, bring the boa back home and run it on a hose for a while letting it warm up real good while checking eerything out. Then I replace the water seperator. I have not had any troubles with fuel or filters during the boating season this way.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Payton
That I believe is for Gasahol, which is 90% 83 octane and 10% 102 octane Ethanol. What most gas stations carry is 98% 87 octain and 2% Ethanol. Gas pumps should specify which you are running. The Gasahol is suposed to be clearly marked.

I know the gasahol we run is 90 octane and I leave my tanks as empty as possible for the winter. With some stabilizer in it. I use Seafoam. There are some new ones made just for Gasahol. In the spring I fill my tanks up, bring the boa back home and run it on a hose for a while letting it warm up real good while checking eerything out. Then I replace the water seperator. I have not had any troubles with fuel or filters during the boating season this way.

Everything around here is 10% ethanol as of last summer....not sure if my 83 octane example applies. My source is someone that would know...unfortunately I'm not certain I have the info correct as I heard it.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by monstaaa
ethanol will not improve with octane booster. if you have a skater or another brand of boat with fiberglass tanks , it WILL eat away at them and you will have problems with de-lam. after winter 99 drain it and have a big ol camp fire or have fun grenading your engine.
doc i have quad rotors in the 42 with big water sep/ fuel filters. no probs. no filter will cause you probs , no doubt . call dustin and ask him again.
this is the filter. made by ramco performance
Hey BIG DADDY nice set-up, did the filters really help you out alot ???????? my old filters clogged hourly and yours are friggin huge , and how often do you clean them out?
thnx Bro
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some interesting discussion on the topic of Methanol and Ethanol gas blends: http://yarchive.net/car/methanol.html
It would seem that if the seperation occurred in your tanks the first problem would be all the water in the bottom of the gas tank where the fuel pickup is typically located. If you get past that hurdle then maybe the loss in octane would be in play.

Now marina gas is a different matter since once the seperated water is pumped into someone's boat (or filtered out) the next boat gets the reduced octane fuel.

The culprit condensation can not happen if there is no air space in the fuel tank since without air movement in and out of the tank the humidity can not be brought in to condense. Keeping tanks topped off (and with gas stable for its seperate benefits) during year around storage on a Hydra Hoist has worked for me. I check the contents of the water seperating fuel filter every fall during winterization and have found no water using this practice. I do not use marina gas and only high sales volume gas stations.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rage
Some interesting discussion on the topic of Methanol and Ethanol gas blends: http://yarchive.net/car/methanol.html
It would seem that if the seperation occurred in your tanks the first problem would be all the water in the bottom of the gas tank where the fuel pickup is typically located. If you get past that hurdle then maybe the loss in octane would be in play.

Now marina gas is a different matter since once the seperated water is pumped into someone's boat (or filtered out) the next boat gets the reduced octane fuel.

The culprit condensation can not happen if there is no air space in the fuel tank since without air movement in and out of the tank the humidity can not be brought in to condense. Keeping tanks topped off (and with gas stable for its seperate benefits) during year around storage on a Hydra Hoist has worked for me. I check the contents of the water seperating fuel filter every fall during winterization and have found no water using this practice. I do not use marina gas and only high sales volume gas stations.
Thnx Rage for the info , i was hearing to drain the tanks for the winter storage mos , and guys out west are runnin 100 octane to elominate the ethanol .Even chris at SKATER seemed surprized i had the tanks full of fuel
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

Up here in the Northlands 10% Ethanol is pretty much the norm. I just have a carbed 454 making around 400 horse on 87 octane at 8.7 compression so I'm sure my motor is a lot more forgiving than what some of you are running, but this has always worked for me. The last few times out for the season I start dosing the tank with Stabil and on the way to be winterized I add another big dose of Stabil and top the tank as full as I can to minimize air circulation and condensation. It sits outside all winter. Come spring it always starts up no problem. The first few times out I am careful not to load the engine any more than what I need to get on plane and then just cruise easy (3000 RPM or so) until the tank is as empty as I dare. This is pretty easy to tolerate because the upper Mississippi in springtime is so full of floating "speed bumps" you'd be crazy to go very fast until the water recedes enough to beach at least the big stuff. Topped off with new gas I will hit it a little harder but I still won't hold her open until the third tank. By that time all the old gas is long gone and life is good. I don't know about blower motors but it seems like even if it runs crappy you shouldn't do any damage as long as you take it easy, and it doesn't take long for a big block to burn through a tank of fuel. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Ethanol ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.