Notices

Ethanol ?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as long as they are full.

Draining the tanks for winter and filling with 'fresh' gas next season will also work but you will have as much condensation collected in the empty tanks as you can get given whatever thermal cycling and humidity that goes on during the period. So you need to purge that before filling up or all your efforts will be in vain. Additionally there will be no Ethanol in the tank to assit in pulling the available humidity out of the air so you would gain there as well.

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Thnx Rage for the info , i was hearing to drain the tanks for the winter storage mos , and guys out west are runnin 100 octane to elominate the ethanol .Even chris at SKATER seemed surprized i had the tanks full of fuel
Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. Everybodys situation is a little different. I always dump STP fuel treatment or stabil into the tank along with octane boost into older boats that I pick up that have not been run in a while and I top off the tanks with 103 low lead from the airport or 114 blue lightning sonnoco. We have a pump for that gas down here. I use the high test gas to bring the levels of the other gas up to a tolerable level and to fight detonation.

You never know what is in these tanks when you pick up an old boat, and draining the tanks is not allways practical.

103 lowlead and the sunnico fuels dont have any ethanol in them, and they also are still leaded gases that is softer on the valves. Your find that with the absence of road tax, the price of avgas is about the same and sometimes slightly cheaper than the crappy 93 you are buying at the pump.

Just a little info, It got warm here last weekend allmost 80. Just thought I'd rub that in.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Good thread. Everybodys situation is a little different. I always dump STP fuel treatment or stabil into the tank along with octane boost into older boats that I pick up that have not been run in a while and I top off the tanks with 103 low lead from the airport or 114 blue lightning sonnoco. We have a pump for that gas down here. I use the high test gas to bring the levels of the other gas up to a tolerable level and to fight detonation.

You never know what is in these tanks when you pick up an old boat, and draining the tanks is not allways practical.

103 lowlead and the sunnico fuels dont have any ethanol in them, and they also are still leaded gases that is softer on the valves. Your find that with the absence of road tax, the price of avgas is about the same and sometimes slightly cheaper than the crappy 93 you are buying at the pump.

Just a little info, It got warm here last weekend allmost 80. Just thought I'd rub that in.
It got warm here last weekend allmost 80. Just thought I'd rub that in. Yeah RUB this u lil Biotch Jeff so your saying leave them full ???? or pump them dry ??? i have elec fuel pumps so i can pump it back out in the 1000 gallon tank we fill her with ... from your post your talkin about losing octane or eating the fiberglass tanks ???
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rage
Just as long as they are full.

Draining the tanks for winter and filling with 'fresh' gas next season will also work but you will have as much condensation collected in the empty tanks as you can get given whatever thermal cycling and humidity that goes on during the period. So you need to purge that before filling up or all your efforts will be in vain. Additionally there will be no Ethanol in the tank to assit in pulling the available humidity out of the air so you would gain there as well.
Rage condensation ???????????? with the boat inside at 68 to 70 degrees the condensation problem is minute ?????
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

It got warm here last weekend allmost 80. Just thought I'd rub that in. Yeah RUB this u lil Biotch Jeff so your saying leave them full ???? or pump them dry ??? i have elec fuel pumps so i can pump it back out in the 1000 gallon tank we fill her with ... from your post your talkin about losing octane or eating the fiberglass tanks ???
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never had one with fiberglass tanks, so I don't know. I have just heard that it is not good for fiberglass tnaks. DAMN SKATERS.

You guys on your way down yet?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

Never had one with fiberglass tanks, so I don't know. I have just heard that it is not good for fiberglass tnaks. DAMN SKATERS.

You guys on your way down yet?
Whats not good for glass tanks ??? stabil ? octane boost ? leaving them full in the winter ??? Yeah Leon called saturday from the boat show and said he was sellin the crap out of stuff and weather was awesome ... we just finished the paint/clear touch ups yesterday , my carpet from 12/17 arrived yesterday ,and went to put in a gps that was phuched up and have to wait for the new one to get here tomorrow .. stumbled on a problem and waiting it out a few days or gonna do a pressure check . smells like _ _ _
Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Whats not good for glass tanks ??? stabil ? octane boost ? leaving them full in the winter ??? Yeah Leon called saturday from the boat show and said he was sellin the crap out of stuff and weather was awesome ... we just finished the paint/clear touch ups yesterday , my carpet from 12/17 arrived yesterday ,and went to put in a gps that was phuched up and have to wait for the new one to get here tomorrow .. stumbled on a problem and waiting it out a few days or gonna do a pressure check . smells like _ _ _
what have we been talking about?

ETHANOL
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

.. stumbled on a problem and waiting it out a few days or gonna do a pressure check . smells like _ _ _
Just don't smoke in the boat
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If gas tank temperature is constant, no thermal cycling, no air transfer, no condensation. It is a function of thermal cycling and humidity.

Rage condensation ???????????? with the boat inside at 68 to 70 degrees the condensation problem is minute ?????
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Just don't smoke in the boat
We're not worried about smokin a few in the boat , the BIG guy up stairs must be lookin out for me if we ran last year with a leaky tank and gas runnin along the stringers

Quick Reply: Ethanol ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.