Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much HP can a stock Bravo really handle? >

How much HP can a stock Bravo really handle?

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 35 Cafe Racer with 468's with small B&M blowers pushing out just over 625 hp. I haven't ran the boat yet and everyone is telling me I'm just going to blow the bravo's up and not even to run it this year. How much HP and torque can a stock bravo really handle and is there anything I can do to them to make them handle the new power. I don't have the $$ to put new XR's on at this point. Any thoughts??
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Kevlar Gun ate stock Bravos for lunch with Merc 600SCs and that was being real light on the sticks.

The Xrs, Max Worx etc are safe up to 700hp in a heavy boat like yours, beyond that eventually they will also leave you running
on one engine.

You may get away with your Bravos for a while if your real carefull in and out of the water.

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Not enough.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Guys,what if he just changes the shafts to the hp units...I'm running 525sc's and I've turned the boost up to 7#'s(approx.625 hp)and have never had a problem yet w/250 hrs run time on stock bravo hp's.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

light on the sticks in light chop waters will last awhile (plan on drives next winter though). If your running off-shore or in large lake chop.........lifespan will very short.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year are your drives?
In like 2002 the drives were beefed up a bit.
I know a guy running 600HP through a stock 2003 Bravo 1 for 3 years and he does not baby it. It is on a much smaller boat though.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a spare drive. They can be had for $1500-$2000 and it's good insurance as to not loose much boating time.

With a heavy boat like yours, they will not last forever. Plan to have them rebuilt and upgraded in the off season.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm runnig a 27' Baja w/a 572 making over 1000hp thru a Bravo1. I made it thru the summer w/out blowing it up.....many 90+ mph runs.. It all depends on how you apply the power.....Even supprised
Mr. Gaggets, who built the drive....Though this year we are going to
a built up XZ. ....Planning on thing this one apart to see what it look like.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Good advice above. I've been running the same Bravo One drive unit since 1989 in a 24' and have serviced it yearly. I have done no upgrades and it has lasted through three 454's, 1-330HP, 1-500hp, 1-650hp and now I've blown a 498 @ 800 or so HP with a season 50 Hours or so, on the same drive, no work on it yet. Be nice to the drive, it's not a drag car or a stump puller and it will last you a very long time. I currently and in the past run my set ups at up to 6800 RPM for extended periods. Hope that helps.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

In 01' the stock brovo 1 drive was fitted with the bravo X internals. If you drive serial # begins with "OM" you have the good stuff. That being said, it is still an aluminum tower etc and will bust with that much power and weight. Give billet marine a call and get one of their billet top caps and bearing upgrades. Ask them what some other weak links are.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HotCig,
There are many weak points to the standard Bravo 1. If you do have the OM drive with the X internals, you are a step ahead. I like to install a steel tower in the case and add the newer XR cap which has a steel tower in it. That helps keep the gear stack where it is suppose to be. I have found cracks under the aluminum towers that were not visible on the surface. After that, shafts are the next weak point. If your Bravo's are in good condition internally they can be upgraded to XR with steel towers. Then the lower needs to be addressed. Shafts and treated gears are the way to go. It maybe more cost effective to just have new drives built. I have a combination that I use when building a drive (parts and setup) that has worked very well. But as others have said, you can break anything if try hard enough. How long will the Bravo's last? If properly setup and babied, they may last for a while, but when you have a basket of parts, it is much more expensive to upgrade than to do it before they turn to mush..

If you would like more info and prices, give me a call. 616-335-8446. Cell.

Hope this helps.
D*ck

Quick Reply: How much HP can a stock Bravo really handle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.