superchargers

Notices

superchargers

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Either "set up properly" will work very well. I had an
M-1 Procharger (for sale) and was very happy with it until I went bizerk and bought a Quad Rotor Whipple!!!

The Procharger is a great unit, again with everything set up properly. A reprogrammed ECU is a must for either if you are doing it right. There is no way a stock ECU program can properly compensate for boost.
Can you guys do a ECU flash at your shop Im going with 1.8 Rollers a set of imco powerflows and either a PC or wipple charger? Thanks for all of your help
Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoosier272
How long have you had yours? Looks great!!!!!
I've had it four seasons and Miller88 had it before me. I did upgrade the upper gears to the newer design. You definitely need to flash the computer because it will run lean top end. Fuel system upgrade is a must also. Blowers get a bad name when people half ass install them. This board is invaluable when doing things your not sure about. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can pop wheelies!~
Attached Thumbnails superchargers-kennyo.jpg  
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Airtime: Talk to Dean Nickerson; he makes 1000 HP with our setup using one of his blowthrough carbs and 10 psi. Another customer made the same HP using EFI and 10 psi. They were both at 8.25:1 CR. Your compression ratio is too high for that much boost. We have put 3-4 psi on top of that much CR but it's an expensive way to make a little HP. What heads and cam are you using?
Attached Thumbnails superchargers-port.jpg   superchargers-540-m-3.jpg  
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowers, Superchargers, MONEY

I've been through one of the exhilerating and expensive boating seasons in 2006 that I can imagine. I started with a Crockett 565 Whipple, 930 HP, 1000Lb torque at 3700 rpm. This was in my Lavey Craft 27 Cat. It was awesome. Three drives later it was just as awesome but I was infinitely poorer (1 IMCO that lasted 2 1/2 hours and 2 Max Machine that lasted 10 times longer). HP and torque cost lost of money. Not just in the initial cost for he engine but in drives. Please keep this in mind. There is no drive other than a 6 that will give even the most careful driver all the trouble free hours that we would like.

I know this drive issue has been beaten to death on this forum, but the fact remains, SPEED COSTS LOTS OF MONEY. HOW FAST AND HOW LONG DO YOU WANT TO GO"
Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

I keep telling you guys; centrifugal blowers are easier on drives. Just look at the graph above ~ 750 ft-lbs @ 3700 instead of 1000 ft-lbs. It makes a difference. Don't forget the Konrad drive in this power and price range. It will save you in the long run.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree the centrifugal blowers are easier on the drives but for the very reason I do not like them, they have no power at lower RPM. I like my old school roots 16:71.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

What are you saying Brad, 750 ft-lbs @ 3700 isn't enough for you? Like to zing the rev limiters when getting on plane?

Hey Pantera: If you can't break it I'll never have to worry.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the punch of the roots blower. I had a Vortech V4 540ci engine and hated it. No power under 4000 rpm. I do not enjoy waiting for an engine to boost up. In my application 4000 is 100 mph. I would fall asleep waiting for the boost. KE was having problems with the 1700 engine with the centrifugal setup. Real dog down low. But the latest is they seem to have found more power on the low end by using a new type supercharger. Dual stage? Not sure what they did but my friend who has them was really upset with the first version and now seems to be happy with the more broad power band after KE reworked them.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Hi Brad:

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Vortech V-4. It's a good entry level 700 HP system. All I can say is that when we convert the Vortech EFI system to our intercooler arrangement we see 800 HP on the dyno and no complaints about low RPM performance. This comment is based on our experience with engines using stock heads and cams, with vees operating up to 100 mph, and with cats up to 125 mph.

The trouble seems to start when you move above 1000 HP. We're used to the big intake ports and big cams that work with Roots blowers and we expect them to work with centrifugals and/or turbos. Matching the right compressor size to the job is also important. Mr. Eickert, Mr. Hofstetter and others are blazing trails here and kudos to them all. With help from Mr. D'Annibale we are doing some blazing too.

With the advent of 150+ mph poker run boats, the difficulty of running a one gear boat at low RPM is compounded. Yes, positive displacement blowers can manage this situation, but centrifugals and turbos can make more power, so don't be surprised if 2-speed transmissions start showing up. The advantages in dock manners, idling speed and ultimate top speed make it worth the effort to solve the problem that way.

Love your choice of boats and have no problems with your choice of blower. Maybe see you in Sarasota.

Tom

Quick Reply: superchargers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.