Hydraulic steering hose ? >

Hydraulic steering hose ?

Notices

Hydraulic steering hose ?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering hose ?

What lb rating do the high pressure steering hoses need to be in a full hydraulic steering setup? Can the push on ends be used or must they be crimped on? 3/8 or 5/16 size? Tks.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different makes will have different operating pressures. But I can tell you that most are rated near 1000psi. So no push on connectors will work. Note that you dont need the shiney braided Russel, Earls, Aeroquip, etc lines. Just look for a hydraulics dealer near you and get their rubber coated hose rated for the system and brass or stainless ends with the appropriate connectors, JIC, SAE, NPT, etc. It's a lot cheaper.
Gary
Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used R-14 stainless braid from discounthydraulichose.com. I'm pretty sure that it is rated for 2500, which is more than enough. I used the steel, re-usable fittings and they are holding up faily well to the corrosion. Stainless fittings are very pricey. Rubber hoses are fine to use with a few slight problems. Rubber is bigger in diameter and is stiff relative to the stainless. Remember that you need to run 4 hoses together, so bulk can be an issue.

Rene
Old 03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a reminder that the stainless hoses ( aeroquip etc) will saw thnru anything they lean up against in VERY short order and should never be bundled together. the proper rubber hydraulic hoses are much much better for anything like this that you are running behind bulkheads and near wires etc...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Steering Hose

Full power assist performance boat steering(including hydraulic helm) hose is 3/8" i.d., otherwise known as -6 hose. Most use Eaton-AeroQuip #2651-6 black rubber hose which is steel reinforced internally. The ends are also Eaton-AeroQuip brass(or nickel-plated brass), 3-piece, reusable hose ends. Mixing different brands of hose or end fittings is a no-no. You will need a -6(3/8") mandrel tool & assembly oil. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your needing, I have a extra set of imco external steering hoses in my garage. I now have the i.t.s and don't need them.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed
You will need a -6(3/8") mandrel tool & assembly oil.
Can someone tell me where I can buy a mandrel tool?

I have tried to locate the tool and am not having any luck..
Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t-islands

You can use the fitting that this connector with screw onto as the mandrel. Just unscrew it from the valve body, use it to assemble the three piece fitting and reinstall it into the valve body with sealer.

BT
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t-islands

They can be purchased at any Eaton-AeroQuip hydraulic hose supplier. If they don't have it on the shelf, they can get it for you in a day or two. For -6 hose, there are two different type of hose end fittings in use, which are called AN fittings, which stands for Army-Navy. They are all identical, except the angle of the flare on them, whether it be a male flare or a female flare. One flare type is called an SAE flare, the other is called a JIC flare, one having a slightly different angle to the flare than the other. You must first identify which AN flare fitting type you are using on your hose, thru-hulls, etc., in your steering system & then buy the appropriate AN mandrel tool that has the same flare. The mandrel tools are available in both flare sizes. ALWAYS use a mandrel tool. Does this help?

Last edited by Ed; 03-20-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered

Ed, whats wrong with using a fitting? Seems to work quite nicely and he should already have one.

BT

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering hose ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.