Mercury Outboards

Notices

Mercury Outboards

Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercury Outboards

Goodmorning,

I'm considering selling my 1985 390 Stinger in favor of a Fountain 31 Sportfish. (Go Fast / Go Fish / Go dive...etc) more easily trailered, more versitile for the wide range of things I like to do on the water, easier maintnenance, and about 10mph faster with less fuel burn.

I'm looking at several early 90's models, the 2 top runners have Mercury power. 1 has 1997 250 EFI Offshore engines with 270 hours, the other has 2001 Optimax 200's with about 180 hours.

I'm not real familliar with Mercury outboards. I have had Yamaha's in recent years, but never a Merc. Anyone know the goods and bads with these models? I know this forum is 95% big blocks, but I have found you guys to have a significant level of expertise in many areas of marine power over the years and figured I would ask.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Todd
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay far away from the mercury models mentioned. They are plagued with gear case failures and oil pump gear failure which leads to powerhead failure. as well as a myriad of other problems. I would not consider any mercury outboards. Yamaha all they way. Some of the new merc models may be better Verrado etc.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned a 1999 Mercury 225 EFI (same block as the 250) and it worked perfectly. Never had a problem with it. It has a nice deep sound to it, but uses a lot more fuel compared to an Optimax. I really like that engine.
I have never heard of any serious issues with that engine.
I think today the Optimax engines are great engines. But I don't know about the 2001 models. May be somebody else knows ?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Go with the 250 EFI's decent motors, like fuel but are reliable motors.
There are no crank gear issues.
The Verado is a time bomb motor...............
Gearcases are an issue with them all, unless you put sportmasters on them.

RT
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

"A lot of fuel" seems relative when coming from big blocks . I figured the Merc 250 efi's to be about 25gph at wot each (+/-) My Yamaha HPDI 200 is about 18GPH at WOT but thats direct injected and of course a smaller engine. I figure the Optimax 200's would be about the same. Reliability is most important. Are the 250 efi's all high tech computer controlled like the Optimax and HPDI, or is is a little simpler to deal with when things do go wrong?

I don't want to go to any other sites either.....the info and experience on this website is better than anyone could hope for. Keep the comments coming guys...thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger390
Are the 250 efi's all high tech computer controlled like the Optimax and HPDI...
No.

I don't want to go to any other sites either.....the info and experience on this website is better than anyone could hope for. Keep the comments coming guys...thanks
For outboards, www.screamandfly.com is the best.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Well...sitting here in my hotel room today without much to do. Logged on to scream and fly, registered, and lost about 2 hours with all the info on these engines. Almost too much info to process in my limited capacity.

Thanks Ziemer, good site. The outboard specific information is great.

I Can't say enough good about the group here though. I have learned more in a few years here than I ever thought I would know about these boats, and I can only guess how much money has been saved on labor by doing it myself after getting ideas on this board.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Ziemer, good site. The outboard specific information is great.
No problem. I've been doing the outboard thing now for almost 10 years, but recently bought a 24' Pantera with a BBC. So in turn, I've been spending more time here too.

Originally Posted by marylandmark
The "other sites" are very good but would still like to see OSO be more involved with outboards.
Maybe, but let me ask you this... Do you go to a great seafood restaurant for the cheeseburgers? Or a top steakhouse for the fish?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the three litre 225/ 250 are good engines. there have been some issues with the nylon ring gear on the crank going bad or a siezed oil pump, causing catostrophic engine failure. how ever most of those failures are due in part to neglectful maintanance of the oil system ergo contaminant in the oil tank or sludge etc,,,, .

the opti's are more fuel efficient but lack the power and acceleration of their counterpart. the opti's offer less smoke while idling or docking which is a plus.

give me a p.m as i may be able to help you with a fountain as i am involved directly with them and a dealer. we my have what your looking for in stock.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I get your point but I think of my boat as more of a perfromance boat than a "fishing boat".

A lot of guys over there love strapping huge motors on 16 foot bass boats to run 100MPH. I guess that if fun but I prefer more boat under me and wave jumpin'.
Wasn't trying to imply you didn't have a performace boat, just that OSO is more geared to the bigger 25'+ I/O crowd, and S & F is more outboard friendly and usually 20' and under.

By the way, nice looking new Concept. If it were mine there wouldn't be no fishin out of it cause it's too darn pretty.

Quick Reply: Mercury Outboards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.