Prop rotation on Single >

Prop rotation on Single

Notices

Prop rotation on Single

Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prop rotation on Single

I'm going to need a new prop this spring and a budy has one that may be a good start, but it's left hand rotation.

Does my Bravo 1 care which way it spins? Can I just reverse the shift linkage and run a left handed prop on a normal engine/drive?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked the same question a ways back and the general consensus was that it's probably not a good idea. The drive isn't really the issue, it's the handling of the boat. Some people had tried it and didn't notice a big difference and others didn't like it at all. If your buddy will let you try out the prop, go for it.

Rene
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

I agree test the boat and see how she handles.....just proceed with caution as the boat may or may not appreciate the change.

Julie
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the steeringwheel on the right you would normally want a right spinning prop. The prop torque compensates for the weight of the helm + driver (when alone in the boat)
Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me why the single engine fountains are set up with a starboard helm and a lefty rotation? A friend has a 27 and tried both R and L and the L handled better and was faster. Others have made the same observation. Any Ideas why or is this one of the worlds great mysteries?

Last edited by IRONMAN; 03-21-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: sp/?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

No real mystery! The boats are faster with a left hand rotation on them. So the boat is then set up for the LH rotation. ie: weight distribution and CG's

Julie
Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

I have heard you will have less clutch cone issues spinning a lefty, any truth to that?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a boat was perfectly balanced side to side, and the hull is straight, the left rotation of the prop could off-set the torque roll created by the engine rotation.
As stated above, most boats are heavy to starboard do to the helm, so right hand is the norm.
As for the drive, I have heard that spinning left puts added stress on the Bravo drive top cap.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a boat was perfectly balanced side to side, and the hull is straight, the left rotation of the prop could off-set the torque roll created by the engine rotation.

My understanding is the following chain of logic;

1. We drive on right side of the road
2. The driver sits on the left to have a good view of the road and the meeting traffic
3. Car engines are spinning left for the engine torque to counter act the weight of the driver
4. For economical reasons the boat engine manufacturers use engines from the car industry, ie left spinning engines
5. To mitigate the torque from the left spinning engine, the prop is set up to spin right in a single engine boat.
6. Because of the gear reduction in the drive the tourque form the prop is stronger than the torque from the engine
7. The helm is therefore put on the right side of the boat

Bottom line, the helm in a boat is on the right because the helm in a car is on the left.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mats
5. To mitigate the torque from the left spinning engine, the prop is set up to spin right in a single engine boat.
Not true...

A left hand spinning engine rolls a boat to port unless you mount the engine in backwards.
A right hand prop also rolls a boat to port.
A left hand prop rolls the boat to starboard; the opposite of the engine.

On my boat, I run with a right hand prop. With just one person in the boat, she run nice and level with no tab. The extra weight from the helm and driver on the starboard side offsets the roll to port from the engine and right hand prop.
If I add a passenger riding on the port side, I do need to lower my port tab to keep the boat running level.

Quick Reply: Prop rotation on Single

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.