Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can a 496HO Freeze Damaged Heat Exchanger be Repaired? >

Can a 496HO Freeze Damaged Heat Exchanger be Repaired?

Notices

Can a 496HO Freeze Damaged Heat Exchanger be Repaired?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 496HO Freeze Damaged Heat Exchanger be Repaired?

The area of freeze damage is a break/leak soemwhere between the sea water chamber and the antifreeze coolant chamber such that at high sea water pressure, sea water is pumped into the reservoir.

Does anyone know if a 2005 Merc 496HO heat exchanger that has been so damaged by sea water freezing can be repaired?

Anyone know specifically who has successfully repaired a freeze damaged heat exchanger for the 496HO?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have three that froze. I even cut one apart. It would be very costly to repair, if even, at all possible. Ended up getting new ones. If you do find someplace that will fix at a reasonable $, let me know. The problem with these are as follows; just draining system will not always get ALL the water out. I found out the hard way. I now either blow the system out with compressed air, and/or put anti freeze in the system for extended periods of storage for below freezing conditions.
Also, if someone can fix, will they stand behind the work?? Down time can be a pain, and waiting to get new ones takes time. And even people standing behind there work can also take time.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The one you cut appart, can you describe in as much detail as possible what, where and how severe the freeze damage is that occurs. Is it just a cracked solder joint at a union or gaping holes or what? If just a simple split solder joint a solder reflow could be an easy repair. But anything with a major gap that would require cut appart and reassembly would likely be prohibative. You do not still happen to have the damaged HE you cut up or any of the other two damaged units?

Originally Posted by Bawana
I have three that froze. I even cut one apart. It would be very costly to repair, if even, at all possible. Ended up getting new ones. If you do find someplace that will fix at a reasonable $, let me know. The problem with these are as follows; just draining system will not always get ALL the water out. I found out the hard way. I now either blow the system out with compressed air, and/or put anti freeze in the system for extended periods of storage for below freezing conditions.
Also, if someone can fix, will they stand behind the work?? Down time can be a pain, and waiting to get new ones takes time. And even people standing behind there work can also take time.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were mine, Id be glad it wasn't my block and order a new one.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Money to burn is nice.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think that you have much of a choice except to replace. The "disassembly" of the heat exchanger will be pretty destructive and will take a specialized craftsman several hours to tear it apart, find all of the leaks and solder/weld everything required. I doubt the work would come with a guarantee. You could always revert to raw water cooled.

Rene
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would replace it. By the time you get done with repair you would have been better to replace it..

If you want to save some coin & Go new you can look them up on my web site under the Mercruiser parts look up application. All of our parts bought thru the site are discounted. They are also factory parts (not aftermarket).. Jamie

www.LakesideRestorations.com

Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If only soldered brass and copper it would seem that a radiator shop could acid "boil" off all the paint, desolder the pieces with a torch, solder repair the damage, reassemble and resolder together. If anything is truely welded then this approach would be a non starter. This is what I am trying to get a handle on. How is the HE put together and what is is made of? All brass/copper and soldered only or what? I would love to get a detailed drawing of the HE design from the manufacturer who ever that is.

If repair is not an option I will buy a new replacement to maintain the antifreeze protection for the engine. I just do not like throwing good money away. I can handle no "guarantee" if the repair cost is reasonable compared to buying new.

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I really don't think that you have much of a choice except to replace. The "disassembly" of the heat exchanger will be pretty destructive and will take a specialized craftsman several hours to tear it apart, find all of the leaks and solder/weld everything required. I doubt the work would come with a guarantee. You could always revert to raw water cooled.

Rene
Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Dustin @ Whipple recommands for the 496 upgrading to a Sen-Dure heat exchanger for superior cooling (5" ID ) which is a direct bolt on / replacement exchanger

They also may be able to fix your damaged one

Why not give them a call ? www.sen-dure.com

Let us know if something worked out
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sen-Dure #15006-1-5 (5"dia) $925 list, $693 street, 3 - 4 weeks delivery.

Originally Posted by evaluex
Dustin @ Whipple recommands for the 496 upgrading to a Sen-Dure heat exchanger for superior cooling (5" ID ) which is a direct bolt on / replacement exchanger

They also may be able to fix your damaged one

Why not give them a call ? www.sen-dure.com

Let us know if something worked out

Quick Reply: Can a 496HO Freeze Damaged Heat Exchanger be Repaired?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.